Thread: Need some ideas please

Need some ideas please

I have been asked to make an Urn for a pet and I am drawing a blank for ideas. Has anyone here made one?
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I have, but as scaled down versions of my full sized line. The one rule to keep in mind is 1 lb = 1 cu in. That's a huge generalization, but, depending on the size of the pet you might have have more design options.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Thanks Rennie, they said that the plastic box that the ashes were returned in measured 4" X 4.5" wide at the top, and 4" X 4" at the bottom & X 7" Tall so I have to build around these sizes I am assuming.
    Last edited by Charles Hans; 08-28-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I am sorry that you have this project.

Are you going to make a box or turn something? When I hear urn, I think round.

Mark, It will have to be a box of some sort, I'm seriously lacking in the lathe department. It would be a disaster if I tried to turn it
    The old guy was 16 years old and dearly loved by his owners, as they all are, so I want to make something nice for them.
    Last edited by Charles Hans; 08-28-2013 at 01:01 AM.

For what it is worth, human ashes are usually returned in a sealed very heavy plastic bag, loose enough that it can be reshaped to fit whatever container it will be stored in. The crematory loves to sell overpriced urns, but lacking that, usually puts the plastic bag in a plastic box (sometimes made to look like cheap wood).

Two points (if the human analogy is true)

1. You don't have to worry about the exact shape of the final urn, just the total volume. From the dimensions you gave, there was room in the box for a pet over 100 pounds live weight.
    2. You don't have to worry about the ashes sifting out the bottom or otherwise leaking, unless the owner opens the bag and wants to play with the ashes (such as mixing ashes from two pets, like people sometimes mix husband and wife ashes).

When you deliver the urn, I would find it useful to learn the similarities or differences of the pet crematory practices.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Thanks Charlie, I don't believe he weighed that much, more like 50 to 60 Lbs. So I will build accordingly.