Here is the latest pair of HFs I've finished up.
This one is a piece of punky spalted hackberry. It's about 5" wide x 4 3/4" tall. I had a lot of tearout to contend with, but in the end it survived the ride. The hardness varied quite a bit, so it got a little lopsided during sanding, but the wall thickness is a pretty consistent 1/8" or so. The finish is a coat of Antique Oil, then several layers of dewaxed shellac to fill up the pores, re-sanded smooth, then a few coats of wipe-on poly and buffed. It's glossier than it looks in the pics...I shot with very indirect light to avoid any glare. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it, particularly the rim...it's a new approach for me.
Attachment 6741 Attachment 6742 Attachment 6743 Attachment 6745
Next up is another piece of red eucalyptus salvaged from my office. I made this one to give to a co-worker to commemorate his 20th anniversary with our company. (He's also one of the nicest people I know, and a brilliant software engineer.) I've been with the company for 16 years myself, so we're both a couple of old dinosaurs who've shared a lot over the years. It's about 5 1/2" wide x 4" tall, and if you count them just right, there are 20 growth rings...one for each year he's been with the company. The finish is Antique Oil and buffed.
Attachment 6746 Attachment 6747 Attachment 6748 Attachment 6749
Comments and critiques are welcome. I'm still working on getting the blue out of the background in the pics...gotta play with the white balance a bit more.