Just to prove the wheels are still turning

+1

I really like how the narrower oak strips stand out on this one. You really managed to pop the contrast in the grains by nice alignment. The contrast between the panels and the beads is also eye catching. You've definitely made me think more about wood pairing - the oak and walnut combo is really a winner.

....Since I was an "eye" guy I really enjoyed the optical illusion that shows up so well in pic #1.

First time I've presented this attempt at the pattern on a curved surface, when using the same wood type as opposed to contrasts the "illusion" factor is very much a hit and mis, fingers crossed sort of thing regarding effectiveness until the finish is applied and the light reflections come into play.

This one proved to be disappointing from a photography point of view because of the perspective distortions but in reality when held in the hand 'switches' well due to the rapid change of polarity.

Thanks for the comments folks, I can assure you there is not a great deal of deep thought or effort put into these things, patience is not one of my virtues these days and it's a case of slap it on the lathe and let the tools go to work and see what comes out.

The wood itself or a too casual a flick of a tool often has more to do with the 'design' than in might at first appear.