Console Table project

Bryan Cowing

Swmbo wants me to build a table for a birthday present for my DIL by the 20th. Found a nice simple plan for a 1/2 round table. I drew up a paper pattern to glue onto pexi-glass, bandsaw and sand the pattern, for the Mini Max lathe. I laminated up some walnut for 2x2x29 blanks, roughed out the legs, touch up the beads, etc. on my General lathe. Walnut sure turns nice! Some WW's say I'm cheating, but with the copier I can easily make the 3 legs required! :D

Last edited:
Some WW's say I'm cheating,

Yup, you're cheating. Of course, Domino's are cheating also. As are biscuits. And pocket holes. Table saws give an unfair advantage over hand saws as well. And power drills over eggbeaters. For that matter, Kiln drying isn't really fair either. And is it really fair that you buy your lumber already milled? Nope, that's all cheating.

So grab yer axe (flint, of course, homemade) and adze and head on out to the bush and get busy.

...art

ps: let's not even talk about plywood. Or PVA glue. Let alone Bessey clamps.

:rolleyes:

It's not cheating, it's just using the tools at hand to make the intended end product. Cheating would be buying the legs pre-made and saying you did them yourself. ;)

I don't say this to many men, but "nice legs". :rofl:

got a lot of it done, dry fitting the parts. Since I only had enough walnut left to build the top, one piece of sapwood was light colored. I tried some aniline dye, but couldn't get the hang of using it so I sanded it off. The walnut I used to make the desk last fall, I used stain ( ML Campbell wind song, color country pine ) to even out the color. I tried some on the bottom of the top as a test, seems to do the job. Not sure if I will spray lacquer or use some poly I have.

Last edited:
Wow! Great job, Bryan. That came out looking sweet. The stain evened out the color nicely.

You should post some pics of this one over in the Flatwork Show and Tell area. I don't think anyone would mind the double exposure, and the Flatlanders who don't normally look into the turning side of the forums will appreciate the finished project.