Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Stuff

Guitar Stuff

I'm out in Oklahoma visiting my daughter and her family. Her son is very musical and I was looking for something to buy him that would encourage continued enthusiasm. Stopped into a Guitar Center store to buy an amp and was blown away by the variety of instruments and accompanying gear that are available today. A whole nother world from when I last got interested in guitar playing back in the sixties. In addition to the amp (Line 6 Spider IV), I got lured by all the cool stuff and in true back a$$ward fashion, and thanks to Brent, ended up buying a Komplete Audio 6 controller that came with a free Guitar Rig 5 pro download (register before Sept 2).....I don't even own a guitar, but it sounded good with the CBG . Then, thanks to Vaughn, I gave a real close look to the six Variax guitars they had on the rack, from $999 to $1,499. One of the guitars had a finish blemish on it but the store would only discount $65 for it. So far have resisted, but the trip isn't over yet. All I need now is one of those Line 6 PODs....and some lessons

Was just playing with My guitar rig software the other day. So many features to that piece of software it's not even funny.

But it's very, very fun stuff.

Good for you encouraging her son to keep it up!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

How fun! I was being chastised just the other day for letting my keyboard skill drop to near zero. I have made a commitment to try to sit down at the piano for a half hour or so a few days a week. That's about all I can do right now. Hard to believe we used to do 3 sets a night.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Good for you, Ted. The Line 6 Spider IV is a cool little amp. Guitar Center is as dangerous as Woodcraft or Rockler. Another one to look out for is Music-Go-Round, a chain of stores specializing in (mostly) used equipment. And I'm all for used gear. My good Variax (the 700) was $400, with another $70 or $80 for the case. I bought a used Fender Strat (made in Mexico) for $179 a couple of weeks ago. (That was a killer price...most used MIM Strats are running in the $350 to $400 range. This one has some dings in the finish, but it plays and sounds great.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    ...Then, thanks to Vaughn, I gave a real close look to the six Variax guitars they had on the rack, from $999 to $1,499...
    I'm having sort of a love/hate relationship with my Variax right now. The piezo pickup under the low E string on my newer one (the 700) died, effectively turning it into a 5-string guitar. It resisted my efforts to fix it (and I used to be the guitar repairman at a music store), so it's going back to a Line 6 authorized repair place. (Fortunately there's one here in town.) In the meantime, I've started bringing an assortment of guitars - 3 electrics and two acoustics - to gigs. It's a lot more cases to carry around, but in a way it's fun having a whole stable of guitars onstage to play with. I need to get a photo of my multi-guitar stand (aka the "Guitarapalooza") next time I have a chance. (Next gig is Sunday, so I'll try to remember to snag a photo.)

And Glenn...get on with it, man! The longer you wait the harder it becomes to get the chops back. (But I'm living proof that they can come back.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Just upgraded my Guitar Rig pro 4 to version 5. Thanks Ted!
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

I'm gonna have to get Brent to show me this Guitar Rig software ... it sounds like you guys really like it...

Very cool Ted! Congrats on the gearing up
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Amp simulation software. You can pick just about any amp/cabinet/effect gizmo out there and put them together 'virtually'.

Not as good as the real thing, but way, way cheaper. And you won't disturb the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Amp simulation software. You can pick just about any amp/cabinet/effect gizmo out there and put them together 'virtually'.

Not as good as the real thing, but way, way cheaper. And you won't disturb the neighbors.
    Interesting - sounds like "ReValver" - a package i played with about 10 years ago... i'll have to give it a listen..
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Interesting - sounds like "ReValver" - a package i played with about 10 years ago... i'll have to give it a listen..
    Trust me, things have changed greatly in the last 10 years...

Now I'm wondering if the Line 6 POD HD500 Multi-Effects Processor does the same thing as the Guitar Rig 5 Pro or does it do more?