Sold my lathe

Roger Tulk

I put my lathe up for sale about a month ago, asking $150 without the chuck. Had very little interest in it (It's a HF lathe after all) and noone came to look at it. Today a gentleman who lives nearby gave me a call, agreed to come have a look at it, and we agreed on $125, with the chuck. I really wanted to keep the chuck, but TBH the lathe wasn't any use without it. I had to buy an adapter, chuck and steb centre to make it work at all, and ended up with more than $200 in it. I also gave him a sharpened set of HF tools. More than I got with it.

Now I don't have a lathe any more, but I am planning to save up the shekels and buy a lathe from Penn State in the spring. I have amassed a full set of decent lathe tools and some turning blanks for next year.

Funny how I don't really miss that lathe.

Kinda know how you feel Roger. My 1014 has been sitting for months since the comfort level of pens and small stuff on the1642 has gone way up. Next Saturday we have a shop day at church (5000 sqft with everything you can imagine!) and I think it's going to get a new home...a little sad though, turned a ton of really cool stuff and made enough to buy the new one and my bandsaw. We'll see.

Glad you got it sold Roger. Now for the new one. My brother has the Turncrafter 12" with bed extension and loves it. I haven't had a chance to get to visit and give it a whirl.

I'm not sure whether to go for the Turncrafter 10" or the 12". I'm leaning toward the 12", as long as I can save up the extra money. I'll have to get a chuck as well. I'll probably get the one I just sold, as it worked fine for me and cost less than $100.

Definitely would go for the 12". I bought the 10" jet and a 1 yr or 1 1/2 yrs later bought the 12" jet. If you get into some bowls or peppermills the 10" struggles IMHO.

My original lathe purchase was a used Rockwel. It was an excellent machine that I hated. It was well made. It ran very smoothly, It was well finished. However, I had to use an adapter because the head was not a standard thread (this extension made vibration easier on a spindle) and it did not have variable speed (stopping to move the belt to a different groove in the pulleys is an aggravation---a huge aggravation at times).

Roger, like you, I spent money trying to make the machine and me more compatible. I sold it for a significant loss. Moral to the story: Be sure the head is a standard thread (1 x 8) (Morse 2 tapers on head and tail) so you can use standard chucks, etc. and go for variable speed if you possibly can.

Enjoy your new, to be, machine,
JimB

Last edited: