2.5 hour table saw project, mailbox cubbie for my daughter

allen levine

While waiting on stain to dry this weekend, my daughter requested I make her a wooden cubbie mailbox for her students.
She has only 10 students this year, but asked me to make it 15 slots, as the class varies during the year.
She only has a certain amount of money the school will spend on each teacher, and these things are ridiculously expensive through their vendors, so daddy had some free time today.(and all the stock on hand)
Its all dado work on the tablesaw, quick, easy work.
It needs a final sanding, then Ill slap on some poly on the outside, and that's that.
I had almost a sheet of 3/4 left over from the built ins, and had some 1/4 inch hardboard I removed from the backs of a lot of single 4 foot gondolas I had in my store when I sold it. Figured it might come in handy one day.

Rob-I didn't forget to rabbet out the back and cut the 2 center dividers shorter, mainly because of your thread, I usually have to go back and do it once I forgot.

this is not fine woodworking, but I needed something to keep me occupied this morning and I know it will last as long as she needs it.

Attachments

• 100_1494.jpg
    100_1494.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_1495.jpg
    100_1495.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 53
Very nice actually i think both my son and i could do with something exactly like this in our respective work places. :) May copy this soon. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

last night she asked me to add a few pull out trays into the bottom ones.
Might go at that today and sand/poly, or might just sit back.
Another bbq today at 3pm at a neighbors home, Im all bbq'ed out, but I have to go.

Nice job Allen. It's very satisfying when you can push out a little project like that on short notice. It's a function of being organised, something my shop has not been for many months, but I'm picking away at it.
Your daughter and her students will really appreciate it.

I dug around this morning for all the strips of half inch ply I don't need and started to cut drawers/pullouts for some cubbies, but I made an error and had to start recutting, so I had to call it quits this morning, I needed to rush over toan arts and crafts fair locally to check out someones Halloween decorations, (as Im going to copy some of them), but he wasn't there.

not sure what it is about Saturday and sunday when my wife is home, seems I have less focus and ambition to be in the shop woodworking, and we tend to spend the weekend kinda "lazy" as we did so far today.

I got it sanded and first coat of poly.

Im off shortly to a neighbors bbq, not really wanting to go in this tropical humidity today.

Last edited:
Looks very classical much like I remember seeing everywhere years ago. I really like it and I would classify it as pretty dang fine woodworking....

Congrats and she is a lucky daughter...
Garry