Brisket, Pork Butt, Pork Tenderloins, & Beef Jerky

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Are all going on the grid tomorrow morning.

Pork Butt was injected with a salt, sugar, apple juice brine, will be slathered with mustard and rubbed.
2013-09-01 21.58.51.jpg2013-09-01 21.58.55.jpg

Trimmed up the brisket a little, actually wasn't much extra fat on this one. Then rubbed it with a local bbq's rub and added a little raw sugar. Will be cooked fat side up.
2013-09-01 22.16.21.jpg2013-09-01 22.30.00.jpg2013-09-01 22.29.45.jpg2013-09-01 22.29.52.jpg

I sliced up some of the flat of my brisket, removing as much fat as I could, which will cause the jerky to go rancid quickly if not removed. I then slice the pieces across the grain, and removed some of the fat I couldn't see before. I plan to dab the pieces with paper towels as they are cooking from time to time to sop up any fat that renders out also.
2013-09-01 22.17.04.jpg2013-09-01 22.22.55.jpg2013-09-01 22.23.15.jpg

I had another recipe I had planned to used for the jerky, but found I didn't have any soy sauce, so this is the recipe I used.
http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/teriyaki-jerky-4819

The pork tenderloin will rubbed in the morning and then will add a peach/honey glaze at about 135* and cook to about 140* - 145*.

So with the jerky - do you go hard dry or just chewy?

I like jerkey "so hard you could take out an eye with that watch it!" but I suspect I'm in the minority :D

Man I haven't made jerky in years.. Makes me want some homemade jerky.

So with the jerky - do you go hard dry or just chewy?

I like jerkey "so hard you could take out an eye with that watch it!" but I suspect I'm in the minority :D

Man I haven't made jerky in years.. Makes me want some homemade jerky.

Personally I like dry jerky, I eat the moist stuff way too quickly. When I worked for a local meat packing supplier, they used to demo the equipment and supplies. One of those was jerky seasonings and smokers, so always had an afternoon snack if you knew who's desk to raid.

Appears I need a torch. Off to HD, I guess.

Looks mighty tasty. I may not get mine on today. Stuff came up yesterday and I didn't get the rub on. No worries. I like the idea of jerky from the flat. I gather that means the pointy end of the brisket?

Appears I need a torch. Off to HD, I guess.

Looks mighty tasty. I may not get mine on today. Stuff came up yesterday and I didn't get the rub on. No worries. I like the idea of jerky from the flat. I gather that means the pointy end of the brisket?

Most times I dont put the rub on until the day o cook for brisket. I will rub it and let it come up to room temperature (1 to 2 hours). The flat is the smaller portion, the pointy part is the point. Burnt ends usually come from the flat.

○|||||||○

Carol, I'm not sure what your intention is with a HD torch, but if it's to quickly sear meat, as I do on the edges of steaks, I would suggest getting a torch that usually comes with a Mapps gas torch set. You can buy the torch separately if preferred. These torches provide more oxygen with the flame and more heat, than that of a regular propane torch. This allows quick searing of the outer surface with minimal cooking of the interior. Also, you can use the Mapps torch on a propane bottle & get improved performance.

The pork tenderloin came out awesome.

I did a glaze of apricot, honey, balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of the bbq rub. It held the moisture in nicely and had a good flavor.
uploadfromtaptalk1378152572422.jpg

We had some for lunch with garlic & wild/brown rice and green beans. Will vacuum seal/freeze the rest.
uploadfromtaptalk1378152588959.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378152607804.jpg
○|||||||○

I put the jerky on after the pork tenderloin came off.
uploadfromtaptalk1378152919044.jpg
One lesson learned...225 is too high of a temp, 150-180 is better.
uploadfromtaptalk1378152947435.jpg
The flavor is good though even if the texture is like bark. :)

○|||||||○

Wowza!!! Great having a couple of masters to refer to!! The pork loins...I do a lot of those because they are cheap and can be used for everything!!! Looks like you tied them together? Brent and I were chatting about these...no fat to speak of but I love the smoke! Did a couple of bacon wrapped...major yummo!!

Tiny hijack...little shoulder came out great...brisket is moving out of the stall...labor on Labor Day!

Brisket turned out really well. Juicy, holds together, bights off cleanly, very tender.
uploadfromtaptalk1378153408418.jpg
I didnt steam this one at all, just cooked it on the grid until it was about 185-190, wrapped it up tight in foil, wrapped it in a towel, and stuckb it in a styrofoam cooler for an hour or so.
uploadfromtaptalk1378153426972.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1378153448426.jpg
I put it in the fridge and plan to run it in the meat slicer later.

○|||||||○

These pictures are killing me here! I did get the thing rubbed down. Tomorrow morning early is launch time. Winds picked up today and I knew it would be super hard to maintain temperature. Recently the mornings have been quiet.

I have chips. Plan to soak them 30 minutes. Place in the smoke box. I have the smoke box that came with the smoker. It has a lid. I gather that is how to control the smoke? I also have a cast iron smoke box. And then there is the foil pack with holes. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

All is to begin at dawn.

One lesson learned...225 is too high of a temp, 150-180 is better.
View attachment 78167
The flavor is good though even if the texture is like bark. :)

○|||||||○

Bark isn't all that bad :)

We used to do ours really low over a couple of days and not much smoke at all. Even just in the oven turned on every so often with the door propped open worked pretty well. I've done some just sun dried and I think they might actually have turned out even better, although you gotta screen them good to keep the yellow jackets out; last time I forgot that they are 3 lbs of beef between nine and noon :eek:

The rest sure looks good though :thumb:

Pork butt got finished. Pulled the bone and the dog waited patiently until it cooled. Was quite funny watching her carry a bone the size of her own head across the yard, kept her busy for almost and hour and a half before she buried it in the flower bed.
2013-09-02 18.03.12.jpg

I put the brisket in the fridge for a few hours, then broke out the meat slicer. Did half about 1/4" thick for a dinner, the other thin for sandwich meat. Saved a few burnt ends for my wife, which is her favorite.
2013-09-02 18.37.47.jpg

Need to stop and pickup some more food saver bags/rolls, it got a work out tonight. ;)

Man that all looks good!

Was too tired to take pictures of our brisket, but it turned out pretty darn good. Just a little south of shredding. Very tender, juicy. I threw some raw sugar on top and that was the bomb!

Served it up with a little corn and a bagged BBQ chop salad and I'm ready for a nap!

I keep on learning with you guys.

Here i am thinking jerky was air dried?? Never heard of it being cooked before.

Interesting u mention the fat being cut off.

When Biltong (SA version of what i thought was jerky in another language :) ) is made its always air dried and with some fat on. Dont know all the spices etc used but fat does not seem to go rancid. Some people like the "dried" fat.
Thing is what is used is a whole slice of beef or game meat and after spicing hung. Naturally loses i am guessing 80% or more of moisture.
Then some slice it into pieces across grain others strip.
Some people make it by shaving beef and the same spice and drying method only because it drys faster.

I have only once come across something like this in the USA in Pittsburgh area but away from city in a small town hardware store where guy had deer "jerky" his term that was strips treated with spices and air dried as close to Biltong as i could tell just slightly different spices.

Where is Carol getting the "torch" requirement from in this post?

Thanks Darren for sharing your ways. Btw found Costco to have cheapest foodsaver bags. ;)
Man you made me hungry. :thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Rob when I do jerky I brine the meat first in a salt and brown sugar mixture at least over night if not for a whole day. The I hang the meat in the smoker for 6-8 hour at 150-160 degrees. to get the smoke flavor but also aid in the drying/curing process and also to insure that the meat gets above 140 degrees in order to make sure that it is food safe. after that you can keep the jerky in a non refrigerated jar for as long as it lasts. usually not very long.

BTW I do fish the same way.

Last edited: