Family Member Sighting...Updated with Pics!

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I know I'm gonna take some lumps for having no photographic proof, but I finally met FW member Nate Davey and his wife this afternoon. They are a great couple and I'm looking forward to getting to know them better. I was playing a gig with my buddies at a local pub, and the Daveys came from the other side of the Sandia mountains to have dinner and hear us play. (They should have stayed for at least one more set, though...we save the good stuff for later in the show.) :D We both agreed I need to visit their place to see his shop. I'll be sure to get some pics when that happens.

In the meantime, the only photo I took today was of my Guitarnado. a.k.a. the Guitarapaloosa. My fancy electronic guitar (the Variax) is in the repair shop, so I'm using a whole herd of other guitars in its stead. I only used four today...most gigs I'd use at least five.

O'Niell's%201%20September%202013%20-%20Guitarnado.jpg

Second Nate Sighting

Now this is getting a little weird. Until yesterday, I'd never seen this Nate Davey guy. Then today, I saw him again. Second day in a row! I think this guy is stalking me or something! :peek:

Actually, I drove about 30 minutes to the other side of the mountain Monday and spent the afternoon playing in Nate's shop - swapping tales and shavings - followed by a great steak dinner. I had a fun time getting to spin some wood, and it's always nice to meet a fellow woodturner/Family member and learn how other folks do things. Plus, Nate and his wife Joy are great people to hang with (and very good cooks, too). :D As a bonus, I got to see a bunch of Nate's turnings in the flesh. I can attest to the fact that he does great work. Like all of us, you can see how his skills progressed as he gained experience, and now he's turning top-notch pieces. :clap:

The centerpiece of Nate's shop is his Nichols lathe. Prior to today, my Powermatic 3520B was the biggest lathe I'd turned on. It's a midi lathe compared to the Nichols. The Nichols is nearly twice the weight of my Powermatic, and that's before you add the optional 400-some-odd pounds of sand to the headstock. You know, for stability. :) It has a very versatile telescoping bed system, and everything about it says "BIG". I was getting ready to joke that all it needed was a mobile base, but then I looked and saw that it has wheels built in. Just raise the huge leveling pads to lower it onto the wheels, and your 1200+ pound lathe is mobile. Nate will have to chime in here with the specs, but it's capable of turning some huge stock.

We picked a piece of very dry (and hard) maple off his wood rack, and started turning a bowl. We (mostly Nate) spent a while knocking the corners off the blank, but after he got the un-fun parts cut away, I spent some cruising time with the gouge, too. We managed to get the outside turned to finished shape before it was time to start the charcoal for the steaks. Here are a few action shots featuring Nate. Check out the lathe. It was hard to fit it all in the frame. (The box to the left of the headstock is the vacuum pump housing.)

Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2001%20-%20800.jpg

Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2002%20-%20800.jpg

Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2007%20-%20800.jpg

That's a 3 HP motor. It's huge. I've seen smaller 5 HP motors...
Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2003%20-%20800.jpg

And proof that I still do turn (on occasion)...

Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2006%20-%20800.jpg

Nate has a nice view out his shop door...
Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2004%20-%20800.jpg

And the obligatory group shot to prove that we're not really just one guy pretending to be two. This one also shows our collaborative bowl so far. We'll work on the inside of it next time we get together...
Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2008%20-%20800.jpg

And apparently the Great Tarantula Migration is happening in Nate's neck of the woods. Saw this guy just as I was leaving Nate's place. He was the second one I'd seen within a quarter mile of his house today...
Nate%20Davey%20Visit%20%2009%20-%20800.jpg

All in all it was a wonderful afternoon and evening with good people, and I know we'll be seeing each other again. :thumb: Many thanks for the hospitality, Nate! :wave:

well its great you can go get your lathe fix when you really need on now vaughn:) and good comardy and food as well:) congrats to you both for a nice meet and great..

Meetups are always good...and some time at the lathe, even better! Those lathes aren't made anymore are they? Looks pretty Stout!

Nate is a brave man letting a long haired dude like you around his stuff. Next thing you know there will be guitar strings on the lathe banjo and a steady rest mounted saxophone hooked up to the vacuum pump!! Heck Nate might even start growing some hair too!!

...Next thing you know there will be guitar strings on the lathe banjo and a steady rest mounted saxophone hooked up to the vacuum pump!!...

When Nate bought the lathe, it apparently came with pretty much every accessory Mr. Nichols made. The steady rest is huge...it's more in the tuba size range as opposed to the saxophone range. And the hollowing rig is equally ginormous. I've dated women who were shorter than the boring bars that came with the hollowing rig. And the vacuum pump is 2 HP. (Mine is 1/5 HP as I recall.) He doesn't have to actually use the vacuum pump. He just threatens a bowl with vacuum torture and the bowl jumps up and attaches itself to the spindle. :D

When Nate bought the lathe, it apparently came with pretty much every accessory Mr. Nichols made. The steady rest is huge...it's more in the tuba size range as opposed to the saxophone range. And the hollowing rig is equally ginormous. I've dated women who were shorter than the boring bars that came with the hollowing rig. And the vacuum pump is 2 HP. (Mine is 1/5 HP as I recall.) He doesn't have to actually use the vacuum pump. He just threatens a bowl with vacuum torture and the bowl jumps up and attaches itself to the spindle. :D

Good food, good people, and one of the finest wood lathes ever made to play on, hard to beat that!

The comment about the boring bar reminded me of a comment by an uncle of mine, long gone now. Uncle Max Gremillion was an old timberman and had a way with words. I went to visit when he was in a TB treatment facility. He was talking about a sweet nurse he had and in describing her said she had a butt an ax handle and a half wide! The lady was indeed a bit heavy and very wide hipped besides. To this day when I see someone like that I think of his way of describing her. :D

Rest in Peace Uncle Max, I suspect nobody around you does!

Hu