Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about mops

Talk to me about mops

I think you mean a sauce brushed on while cooking. Recipes? Enlighten me.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    well here is one that I have used and like.
    12 ounces beer
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons minced jalapeno chilies
    I simmer it for 5 mins or so then chill it until ready to use. I mop the brisket with it every coupla hours.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Like Don said using a basting mop like this http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichle...ywords=bbq+mop

Follow on question: Do any of you add thickeners or anything to make it stick better and keep it stuck to the meat?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Ryan, Mine stays kinda sticky I think due to the veg oil and the fact I keep it refrigerated when not using.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Used to clean floor or to bast Meat on grill. Decision should be made before first use and not interchanged
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

I spritz - no mop. Today, I'm doing two Boston butts and three large slabs of pork spare ribs. I use a small spritzer bottle with apple juice and give all of it a dose occasionally. For brisket, I might use some beef bouillon in a spritzer, but usually let it take care of itself if the fat cap is right.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Re: Talk to me about mops

I do the same as Bill, spritz with apple or white grape juice. I've only done a mop a couple of times and not really noticed much of a difference.

○|||||||○
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I sent you a bunch of sauce recipes sis. Problem is with most of them unless you have a dozen years in the craft...they burn like crazy!! Usually, smoke or steam with rub, lather up with sauce and grill for 15-20 minutes. There are several hundred ways to pull that off...but that's how I feed the Fresno Pacific Girls Swim Team...those girls eat anything and if it doesn't come out of the cafeteria...it rocks!!!...even if it doesn't!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

And as Bill and Darrin mentioned...on a shoulder...spritz. This is after you coat the gas tank size of a monster in mustard of your choice and then rub like a masseuse! Every hour or so I spray it down for so flavor, sugar for bark, and a tad of moisture.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots