Glenn - A bevy of bright beautiful Bessy's

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Hello, my name is Rennie, and I can be a slob.

(you all say) Hello Rennie.:wave:

Time, once again I'm embarrassed to say :eek:, to take a day and clean the shop. More importantly, to clean my clamps. Yes, I have a problem. I have glue on my Bessy's.

I've been looking round on the web for a solvent to use on PSA glue. Lots of advice on solvents (alcohol, vinegar, etc) but none state specifically that they will work on PSA wood glue. I've tried a heat gun and dental picks - it works, but man is that slow!

I'm sure there are other glue slobs here to be found, if they can be convinced to step forward. How do you deal with this?

Last edited:
Well of course I had to go straight for the bait :rofl:.

[video=youtube;QoQ5RWD7_eE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=QoQ5RWD7_eE[/video]

P.s. The nice thing about Besseys is that they use a screw and teeth to catch so, you can wax them if you run out of blue tape.

Last edited:
Acetone will work if the glue has hardened. I've read that steam will soften PVA also.

I did a 'duh' the other day and left a putty knife sitting after using it to scrape TBII out of some corners. The next day, the glue was nicely cured! I had to wrap a bit of paper towel over the metal part of the putty knife and let the acetone sit for a few minutes, then the glue came right off.

Glenn Bradley - DON'T Read this!

I got to Bill's post little late so I went out and purchased some goof off. It seems to soften the glue very nicely. That and a Dremel tool with an abrasive wheel seem to do a great job of cleaning things up.

Here are some before and after shots. To apply the goof offl I tightly wrapped a shop paper towel around the clamp and then soaked it. I let it soak for about 10 minutes. The abrasive buff works without the goof off but it tends to melt the glue and then it Is harder to remove.

rybu2ere.jpg
rubudy3e.jpg
ta2ujunu.jpg
uduba8et.jpg
3agehasa.jpg
ysyzyga7.jpg

Last edited:
Rennie when I had my shop I had a Taylor glue wheel and I had some stuff that would remove glue build up. Problem is I can't remember where I got it but you might snoop around there site and find something or they might point you in the right direction.

Wow, the Goof-Off looks like it worked great. I've used white vinegar to soften Titebond, but haven't tried it on my clamps. I don't have enough glue built up on the clamps yet to cause me to take action on them. (I typically put a strip of wax paper over any parts of the clamps that are subject to glue drips, but still have gotten a bit of glue on them over time.)

Glenn Bradley - DON'T Read this!

8yrytuhy.jpg
juhe6yja.jpg

Turns out the Dremel tool may have been a little bit of overkill. This one was done with a red Scotch-Brite dipped in goof off. Worked Quite well

So, Xylene is the death-threat for gooped up clamps. Wunderbar! :thumb: I've got some Toluene that I keep around to thin certain things. I'll have to give that a shot. Obviously proper ventilation when working with these nasties :D.

So, Xylene is the death-threat for gooped up clamps. Wunderbar! :thumb: I've got some Toluene that I keep around to thin certain things. I'll have to give that a shot. Obviously proper ventilation when working with these nasties :D.
As I'm guessing you normally practice, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound (or in this case, 16 oz.) of cure! I need to be more careful with my glue!

Don't ask me why, but I happen to have a gallon of Xylene. Guess I need to get to work on my clamps!

Xylene...now there's a name I've net seen in a while. Back when I was in the construction materials testing business, we used lots of xylene (bought it in 55 gallon drums) to remove the oil from asphalt so we could test the sand and gravel in the mix. Xylene was eventually phased out in favor of trichlorethylene, which was supposed to be "safer". :rolleyes: Maybe all that exposure to solvents (dating back to before I was out of high school) explains a few things about me. :D