Fair results

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
The Canfield (Ohio) fair is now over, and I reclaimed my entries this morning. Didn't do too bad - one first, one second, and two thirds out of four entries. Had some really good competition this year.

The whole 'collection: DSCN0988 [800x600].jpg

Intarsia Eagle - 110 pieces! DSCN0990 [800x600].jpg

The lap desk (other pics posted a while ago): DSCN0992 [800x600].jpg

A 'keepsake' box in cherry:DSCN0993 [800x600].jpg

And a turned potpourri bowl (sorry, larry! :D )DSCN0994 [800x600].jpg

For the past several years, I've been pestering the Fair Board to add a woodturning category, telling them they were missing a big segment of woodworkers by not having one. Since they finally added one, I figured I'd better turn something just to be sure they had at least one entry. I needn't have worried - they had eight other entries, so I've been vindicated - it's a worthwhile category. Having said/done that, I doubt I'll ever enter the turning category again...

I wouldn't call those fair results; I'd call them excellent results :D ...

Dangit! Roger beat me to the punchline. :D

Well done on all counts, Jim. Nice work, and kudos on getting the new category started. The intarsia eagle and the turned potpourri bowl were both surprises...both are styles of woodworking that I don't typically think of you doing. :thumb:

Dangit! Roger beat me to the punchline. :D

...The intarsia eagle and the turned potpourri bowl were both surprises...both are styles of woodworking that I don't typically think of you doing. :thumb:

Both styles/techniques are 'firsts' for me. Might well both be 'lasts,' too! :eek: The intarsia does use up a lot of scraps, though. As for the bowl, while I recognize that a lot of folks love their spinny stuff, it just ain't my cup of tea. I can (sorta) do it, but I don't find it as enjoyable as I do other things.

Well done Jim. Guess its all a matter of perspective. Now i would have been happy just to have a single entry i felt worthy of public display.

That eagle man you gotta do more. Is it ready as is for hanging? or how does it get displayed?

Writing box is on my list has been since seejng it first time. My version will also accomodate my small laptop. :) its the new pen and paper:) but somehow i still seem to go through paper and pens. lol.

Nice work Jim now you gone let the cat out the bag on the spinny side. I hear on the wire that Larry near had a heart attack when he saw it. Looks like he recovered though.:)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2