Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! No smoke.

HELP! No smoke.

Brisket has been on about 75 minutes. No smoke. Can smell rub though. Soaked chips in the pan with the cover and then drained. Cover is attached to the pan. Trying to get temp down to ~220. Started too high, but watching it like a hawk.

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? Don't want to waste $20 worth of meat.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I'd probably have started just the smoker for a while without the meat, until you got the temp stabilized and some burning going.

If you've got a torch, get those soaking wet chips burning with it a bit. Maybe take some dry chips and make a little aluminum foil holder for them and poke a bunch of holes in the bottom of that. Then light those chips on fire.

IF you have the water pan in there remove that, the moisture will make it hard to get any smoke going.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

The torch idea should work. May pull the meat until you get it sorted out. I wouldn't worry too much though, it will soak in as long as the meat isn't seared and sealed up.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carol, do ya have any vents open? Ya need a little cross ventilation in order to get the chips smoldering.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Couple of things. If there are vents on this thing, I have no clue. Even read the owners manual. Went to HD for map torch -twice. Wouldn't light or stay lit when it did. Guy said get your money back. Even tried propane. No joy.

Brisket has now been in the smoker for 4 hours. Gonna check the temp. I may get a roasted brisket but it ain't gonna be smoked. I'm bummed.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I doubt it has any vents since it's electric. If you've got any dry chips, try lighting those. Heck if you've got some cherry or oak in the trailer, make some saw dust and light it and get a smaller solid piece burning and add to it as needed.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Not enough oxygen in pahrump to keep a blowtorch running? That is bizarre.

There is a little hole int the bottom of the smoker, and another at the top back side. It allows just enough air flow to keep the smoke going, without a flame, or losing heat.

Very 'non-adjustable'.

One other thing you might want to try next time is one of these.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8

I've got one and it works pretty good. Jim Has one and has had mixed results.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

pahrump? well, that explains it. she's waaaaayyyy too close to area 51......
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Sounds like the blowtorch was probably really broken somehow? Dunno..

With my propane smoker I've had some problems getting the smoke to smoke sometimes with just the heat from the propane underneath - especially at low temps.

I often just start a small fire in the cast iron smokebox with it outside the smoker until I get some coals going (even maybe a few charcoal briquettes to keep things rolling) and then put it inside the smoker and layer on a bit of smoking wood (repeat adding smoking wood as needed).

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    OK Carol found this on their web site on the reviews for your smoker.

"Did the pre-season thing like the book said but got no smoke whatever. I went and put a slab of ribs and a whole chicken on thinking that I would eventually get smoke. But no smoke. Took the meat off when done and it was all just falling to pieces. Moist and tender. But no smoke. I messed around with it and found out that I needed to turn the tray around that holds the water and wood chip tray around so that they would sit back further on the burner. That's all I needed to have all the smoke that I needed. The book needs to explain that. It also needs a better temperature gauge"

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward