what would you do with this?

Frank Fusco

Pictured below is a hunk of wood that sat on a shelf in my parents home for many decades as a knic-knack. Guesses as to what type of wood are usually manzanita root to desert ironwood root. My guess is the desert ironwood. Whatever, it certainly is in the rose/ironwood category. Very heavy and hard. I've had it collecting dust for ten years and am contemplating it's best use. It is aproximately 2" thick X 17" long. Pen blanks is one thought but I'm pen blank poor as it is. What would you use it for? Turners may respond also. :D

Attachments

• ironwood.jpg
    ironwood.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 126
If it was mine and had been a long-time knick-knack in my folks home, I'd most likely let it continue life as a knick-knack - there's a lot that can be said for traditions and mementos. Of course, sawed lengthwise into a top and bottom, the bottom could be made into pen blanks and the top drilled for a desk-top stand for the finished pens.

I just started a box in the shop labeled 'exotic hunks'. There is red mallee burl in there, some ambonya burl and now, I'll cut this into sections and put in the box for whatever special need might come along. As for sentiment, I have a modern metal 30'X40' pole barn that is filled with cartons, piled head-high with tons of 'sentiment' in them. Don't need no more stuff 'n junk.

Turned like this it looks like the upper body of a snake ready to strike. How about carving the head of the snake on the upper bent part and the body out of the rest, scales and all. Make it a diamondback.

Attachments

• ironwood.jpg
    ironwood.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: