Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off the list

Off the list

My wife and I went to order new flooring for the downstairs (again...long story) last night. While at the store she mentioned wanting to look at some stuff for the bedroom. We went upstairs and she found a set of nightstands, next thing I knew she was having an order entered and I'm packing them home. Guess bedroom furniture just got knocked off my to-do list.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ns1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	78230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ns2.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	78231

I guess she's been without one for 3 years now, so can't blame her, but I swear I was just getting around to it.

One thing we didn't see when we were looking at them, they have a built on touch lamp control. There's a bar across the back that you touch and the control has a plug for your normal lamp to go into, was pretty convenient last night.

She did mention this morning that she wants to make a padded headboard. I also want to build a new bed frame with some storage and possibly make it where I can elevate the headboard side as needed easily for my wife's acid reflux.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

This is photographic proof that if we drag our feet long enough, we can completely get out of doing something. But I'm guessing that building bedroom furniture was one of those things you actually wanted to do, so it kinda backfired, huh?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Yeah, was on my priority list, but my wife's priorities are a level above all of mine.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Hmmmmmmm, still haven't gotten around to Lou's kitchen. I swear, I am gonna try next year!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Off the list but off the hook??? Hmmm..........

Speaking of beds, Several years ago, I was tasked to build a king size platform bed after my wife saw one I was working on at a commercial shop. It has really worked out well for us. About three years ago, she 'asked politely' if I would consider building a queen size platform bed for our guest room. "Of course, Sweetie" was my reply. Mr. Ambassador can confirm that I've been working on it; he saw on each of two visits - a year apart, but I'm closing in on it - I think!

Anyway, to my point. Here's a link to my SU8 file for the bed I'm building. Maybe it will give you some ideas. I don't have details for the drawers on this file, but it will have four identical sized drawers. The platform could be modified to provide a prop mechanism like you described, I believe.

Edit: Well, duh! The drawers can be seen if you hide the drawer fronts on scenes one or the platform on scene two.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 09-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Yeah, was on my priority list, but my wife's priorities are a level above all of mine.
    Now that sure hits home. My list was changed at the dinner table tonight. Wasn't open for discussion either
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    As usual I'm stumped...are those drawings of what she purchased or of your plans to make? If they're your drawings, I can't see how she'd be able to pick out a nicer looking set!
    Either or, enjoy the free time saved towards your next project!!!
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

Never do today what you can get someone else to do for you tomorrow.

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Well, thanks for the moral support guys.

Jon, better get busy (like your not already...lol).

Bill, I like the design, but will have to scale to king size, Thanks! I'll play around with them.

Bob, Sorry you're feeling the same. I'm not all that upset, but always feels like something was taken away from me when I had plans for it.

Ken, Those are the store pics of the ones we bought, will get some pics in a few days of the actual ones.

Jim, good advice!
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ... Bill, I like the design, but will have to scale to king size, Thanks! I'll play around with them. ...
    The first platform bed I built for our master suite is king size, but I was still in the 2D world back then. It's done with Visio, if you can use that file. The main difference in design is the core is made with three "coffins" as my wife called them.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station