Off the list

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I went to order new flooring for the downstairs (again...long story) last night. While at the store she mentioned wanting to look at some stuff for the bedroom. :huh: We went upstairs and she found a set of nightstands, next thing I knew she was having an order entered and I'm packing them home. :doh: Guess bedroom furniture just got knocked off my to-do list.:rolleyes:

ns1.jpgns2.jpg

I guess she's been without one for 3 years now, so can't blame her, but I swear I was just getting around to it. :p

One thing we didn't see when we were looking at them, they have a built on touch lamp control. There's a bar across the back that you touch and the control has a plug for your normal lamp to go into, was pretty convenient last night.

She did mention this morning that she wants to make a padded headboard. I also want to build a new bed frame with some storage and possibly make it where I can elevate the headboard side as needed easily for my wife's acid reflux.

This is photographic proof that if we drag our feet long enough, we can completely get out of doing something. ;) But I'm guessing that building bedroom furniture was one of those things you actually wanted to do, so it kinda backfired, huh?

Off the list but off the hook??? Hmmm..........

Speaking of beds, Several years ago, I was tasked to build a king size platform bed after my wife saw one I was working on at a commercial shop. It has really worked out well for us. About three years ago, she 'asked politely' if I would consider building a queen size platform bed for our guest room. "Of course, Sweetie" was my reply. ;) Mr. Ambassador can confirm that I've been working on it; he saw on each of two visits - a year apart, but I'm closing in on it - I think!

Anyway, to my point. Here's a link to my SU8 file for the bed I'm building. Maybe it will give you some ideas. I don't have details for the drawers on this file, but it will have four identical sized drawers. The platform could be modified to provide a prop mechanism like you described, I believe.

Edit: Well, duh! The drawers can be seen if you hide the drawer fronts on scenes one or the platform on scene two.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for the moral support guys.

Jon, better get busy (like your not already...lol).

Bill, I like the design, but will have to scale to king size, Thanks! I'll play around with them.

Bob, Sorry you're feeling the same. I'm not all that upset, but always feels like something was taken away from me when I had plans for it.

Ken, Those are the store pics of the ones we bought, will get some pics in a few days of the actual ones.

Jim, good advice! :thumb:

... Bill, I like the design, but will have to scale to king size, Thanks! I'll play around with them. ...

The first platform bed I built for our master suite is king size, but I was still in the 2D world back then. It's done with Visio, if you can use that file. The main difference in design is the core is made with three "coffins" as my wife called them.

This whole thing just worked out all wrong. You need to use the urgency of the "nightstand shortage" to DE-prioritize other "less important" domestic tasks thereby freeing up your shop time in order to accommodate the needs of SWDISVM (She Who Deserves It So Very Much). Now stop messing around in the yard and fixing household appliances (she can buy new ones of those if she wants) and go wallow in some sawdust :rofl:.

This whole thing just worked out all wrong. You need to use the urgency of the "nightstand shortage" to DE-prioritize other "less important" domestic tasks thereby freeing up your shop time in order to accommodate the needs of SWDISVM (She Who Deserves It So Very Much). Now stop messing around in the yard and fixing household appliances (she can buy new ones of those if she wants) and go wallow in some sawdust :rofl:.

Glenn, my wife says I can't play with you, you're a bad, bad influence. :D :rofl: