Mini wood gloat

Just came from holidays las sunday with a small trunk of prune tree that my FIL had cut for firewood.
As most of fruit tree wood is great for any project, be it carving , turning or flatwork I took it with me and I made my first trunk resawing.

To make things short, I flattened one side, nailed both ends on a scrap of plywood and used it as a sacrificial sled cutting both at the same time.

The log had some cheking at the ends as it had been cut a couple of months ago, as it is a young tree most of it is sapwood but I think that once dry it will be usable. I hope to get enough usable wood to make a couple of boxes at least, if not maybe I`ll carve some netsuke. I do not know whether those cracks will enlarge or if some more will appear.

I also have two similar cherry logs that I brought a couple of years ago that I will resaw soon. I should have done it before but for those I need a better sled as they are bigger.

Here you have the pics.

gloat03.jpggloat04.jpggloat05.jpggloat08.jpggloat09.jpggloat11.jpggloat13.jpggloat14.jpggloat01.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting wood Toni. Seems strange how color of wood on one log looked different to one showing small pith/hardwood section.

Free wood best kind and way more interesting to explore insides.

Hope you had a great relaxing time.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2