Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you ship?

Question How do you ship?

I've been keeping my woodworking small for the items I list in my Etsy store primarily because the little investigation I've done so far into shipping rates on larger items turned my hair gray. Well, not really, but it was scary. My smaller urns and all the cutting boards are designed to fit into a USPS flat rate box. Larger urns and clocks go UPS ground.

However, I see a lot of guys selling tables, chairs and such on Etsy and advertising shipping costs that I just don't understand. I did a quick rate quote on FedEx freight's website for an end table giving the total weight at 45 lbs in a 20 x 20 x 26 carton. The rate came back at over $500!

I know many of you build larger items and ship them to customers. Care to share some of your secrets? Please?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 09-05-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Man!! I sure would like to know the answer to that also!!

Enjoy,
    JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Contact some of the trucking Co it you agree to use only them to ship they will make you one heck of a rate. Back when my shop was up and running I contracted with Watson and Dominion and the rates for under 200 lbs drop form over $300. to $65. for 200 lbs and under anywhere in the 48. I was shipping Que Racks by the pallet load and most of them were 24" X 5' only cost $65 bucks but keep in mind that was in and around 2000-2001

Forgot to say you only need to use them for large stuff to get that kind of rate not small packages unless the are REAL Heavy
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Caughron View Post
    Contact some of the trucking Co it you agree to use only them to ship they will make you one heck of a rate. Back when my shop was up and running I contracted with Watson and Dominion and the rates for under 200 lbs drop form over $300. to $65. for 200 lbs and under anywhere in the 48. I was shipping Que Racks by the pallet load and most of them were 24" X 5' only cost $65 bucks but keep in mind that was in and around 2000-2001

Forgot to say you only need to use them for large stuff to get that kind of rate not small packages unless the are REAL Heavy
    Likely I'd be shipping nothing larger than a sideboard or coffee table and probably less than one per month. Might be worth stopping in at one or two of the local terminals for a chat.

I went here and signed up for a free quote. I tried So Cal and upstate NY for a 65 lb box 32 x 22 x 48 and either way it was $250 - $300. A rate like that would certainly make my item less competitive!

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Jay is correct, talk with a couple of local terminals and see what they can do for you. Also, I dunno if it would be any cheaper for say a nationwide mover. They may be able to pack the items on a truck that is going to your destination and take care of final delivery for you.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Jay is correct, talk with a couple of local terminals and see what they can do for you. Also, I dunno if it would be any cheaper for say a nationwide mover. They may be able to pack the items on a truck that is going to your destination and take care of final delivery for you.
    I thought about the moving companies, but their schedules to some areas can be hit or miss. I need a reliable number I can publish in my ad. Nothing spells bad reviews like having to go back for more money or having something take 3 weeks to transport!

www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Rennie, do a goggle search for LTL shipping. LTL is the industry term for less then a truck load. Find one or two who have local terminals. Also keeping mind that when you ship LTL it might be taken off and on of trucks 2 or 3 times before it gets to you destination so proper packaging is a must Something like a sideboard would need to be palletized so they don't stick a forklift under it and damage all your work.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That is so right what Don said about palletizing and 1 or 2 shipments is enough for a discount. They will give you 50 to 75% discount if you sign a contract with them that you will use just them for shipping large stuff. Sweet talk the MAN
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Hrm... I think you were looking at priority or two day?

I just priced one of similar size but weighed more (60lbs) from OR to NC and: End of day (5 Business Days) Home Delivery was 73.56.

Granted its not a FAST shipment, but most of the other delivery services are going to be in that timeframe as well.

Also not claiming its not cheaper elsewhere but the $500 seems like way to much for normal delivery.
    Last edited by Ryan Mooney; 09-06-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: failure to actually complete verbiage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    Hrm... I think you were looking at priority or two day?

I just priced one of similar size but weighed more (60lbs) from OR to NC and: End of day (5 Business Days) Home Delivery was 73.56.
    Actually, the stated delivery time from Boise to NY was 6 days and the rate I got using the "free rate quote" form on the wbsite was just over @250 - but I like your price better! What company did you check with?

www.wrworkshop.com