Thread: Did something I have been putting off

Independence, Kentucky

Did something I have been putting off

Well today I finally started to get the inventory for the shop started. I got a program from the apple store that is pretty detailed. This is turning out to be a bigger job than I thought it would be though. I spent about half a day down there gathering information such as model, serial numbers. and taking pictures of things, The deeper I dig the more I am finding. I am beginning to realize that I am a hoarder of tools, and small things that fill drawers, and shelves that I had forgotten about, or just misplaced. Has any one else tackled this in your shop? I have been meaning to do this for a long time and I have been putting it off. Oh and Yes I have found a LOT of dust .
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

The Gorge Area, Oregon
    We did a quick one a few weeks back and I kept having those "on yeah and this as well" moments. Definitely worth doing cause of you don't there ain't no way you'll ever remember what all you have. I need to go do a more complete job one of these days.

No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Good for you Charles. I am wayyy overdue for an updated effort. I take pics with the camera and then scan receipts, etc. and put all the files together on the camera memory stick and store a copy in the fireproof box and one offsite.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Kansas City, Missouri
    Good idea and reminder. I had started to do this with a web app, but then had to change web hosting accounts, so didn't get it set back up on the new server. So what's the name of the app you found?

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Independence, Kentucky
    Darren It's Home inventory from the App store Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 10.55.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	78282
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

ABQ NM
    Thanks for the reminder, Chas. I need to get my inventories updated in several of my hobby collections.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

GTA Ontario Canada

Re: Did something I have been putting off

Thanks Charles this is going on the list for sure. Longggg over due.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Central (upstate) NY
    Are you inventorying the dust by weight or volume?

This is something we planned to do while moving, but may be pushed down back to two weeks after move. Not just the shop, but the whole house. Oh dear, I also do miniature war games and have a lot of data entry in front of me.

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Thanks for the reminder. I've been planning on doing the for quite some time.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Thanks for the laugh of the day!!!

Glenn and I keep saying that we are going to get together and do the photo/inventory thing again for an update. So far there is no joy because life keeps interfering.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.