window rebuild question?

larry merlau

i have three small deco windows that i need to rebuild, my first thought was to use plastic brick mold but what about the jamb material? that is exposed to the outdoors? thought some of the plastic wood that is out there now days. has anyone done something similar? and i would need to have real wood inside the house i think but possibly i could use all plastic.. any help is appreciated the wall thickness is 4.5 from sheating to inner wall face.. also on a side note how wide, can one get cement siding trim boards? looking at using it for a bottom skirt board.

pros and cons to working with that stuff Larry. I have worked with it off and on over the years one thing I have found is it moves like crazy. I have seen joints open up as much as a quarter inch in the winter. Any place you put fasteners will always show dirt and you cant restore that smooth finish on any places you cut.
It has no structural abilities whatsoever and imo is good for nothing beyond decoration. That said, it doesn't and never needs paint. I would be more inclined to use better wood suitable to outside applications if you are going to restore these windows. Something like a common grade of cypress or even native pine. prime all sides with 2 coats and use a really good quality paint like SW Duration.
As far as cement board for siding I couldn't give you a pro or con there as I have never used it.

thanks rich, well it sounded good to match the replacement windows they are getting to do thew rest of the house..:) but i have seen the plastic stop on garage doors move a lot and this is same material i think.

Larry as Rich said don't like that plastic stuff at all. Now if you are wanting to use the hardyboard as trim why not use it as your jamb also? You can get that in anything from 1 x 2's to 4 x 8 sheets. Have gotten it in any and all sizes. As far as the inter goes, are you painting this? If so just get the wood grain materal, smooth on one side and wood grain on the other. If the inter is stained this stuff does take a stain, just not sure how it will match up to what's there. If nothing else you could always put a 1/8 or 1/4 inch real wood over just the inter. Hope this gives you some ideas if nothing else.:) Got to head out in a min and go look at a house print.:)