A Modern Console

Dave Richards

Here's something I zipped out this morning for a client. He has a pair of doors he'd ordered for another project which were the wrong size. We'll make the doors slide and get two cabinets out of them.

Like the idea of the sliding doors, not so much like on the drawer pulls, reminds me of a tool box, especially with the varying depths.
And that TV must be one of those old 'Clear-vue' black & white sets :D....seriously though, like the where the design/shape is headed! :thumb:

I like the design also, but I think the border around the drawers should be consistent with the doors. Looks like they have about a 1 1/2" border that the drawers don't have.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Ken, the drawer pulls shown were just put in to show some sort of pull. They were just drawn as a simple rod--they aren't even connected to the drawers in the drawing--but I expect they'll get replaced. The drawers will probably get replaced or divided into two columns of drawers.

Darren, it's a raised panel door. All of the walnut on the left is the door.

Glenn, I've been drawing more and more Mid-Century Modern furniture pieces and I keep remembering pieces of furniture and lamps that were in the house when I was growing up or that my grandparents had and wondering what has become of them. I didn't like them so much at the time but now I wish I had many of those pieces. I just hope the woodworking from the 70s doesn't come back! All that stuff with the heavily radiused edges. Yuk!

Glenn, I've been drawing more and more Mid-Century Modern furniture pieces and I keep remembering pieces of furniture and lamps that were in the house when I was growing up or that my grandparents had and wondering what has become of them

I'm afraid I can account for some of it. Dad is still using some bookcase and table components in his home office. Just this year I cut up a bookcase I had been using since college that was water damaged. It's in my cutoffs bin and appears in the form of small non-show parts scattered throughout a few pieces that have homes up and down the state. I believe these were pieces in my parent's first "real" set of furniture purchased around the time we kids came along and they exist in most of my very early memories. Solid birch, good joinery and craftsmanship. Tapered cylinder legs with threaded wood tenons that screwed into threaded sockets on the underside of up-tapered edge rectangular table tops, sliding dovetail shelves, really fun stuff in a funky sort of way.

I really like the style, although my favourite part is the sliding door. For this kind of piece I think it's a really good choice