production run commenced!

Dan Noren

Staff member
the optical illusion cutting board production run has commenced! friday i picked up all of the walnut and maple at logs to lumber. yesterday i spent several hours planing them smooth. today's task is to cut all of the parts needed. the walnut is all good straight grain, and the maple has a fair amount of figuring to it. more pics to follow....

Attachments

• 0001 boards before planing.jpg
    0001 boards before planing.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 0002 boards after planing.jpg
    0002 boards after planing.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 94
today's progress. i wasn't sure if i was going to have enough short lengths of maple after cutting all of the longer lengths. but with the leftovers from ripping the longer lengths to width, i had enough. the walnut was just beautiful, but the maple had some real ugly spots, and it was fun to cut around them. but, all in all, everything is cut to length, and ripped to width. tomorrow, while the wife :blah: is in school, i can start in with gluing up the blanks.

Attachments

• 0003 all boards cut to rough lengths.jpg
    0003 all boards cut to rough lengths.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 50
  • 0004 all boards ripped to width.jpg
    0004 all boards ripped to width.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 58
started the gluing up of the blanks yesterday, starting with the big blanks for the chevron boards. then, with the last one done, i started in with the bulge board blanks. hopefully i can start in on the smaller board blanks tomorrow.

Attachments

• 0005 big blank in clamps.jpg
    0005 big blank in clamps.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 0006 big blank first glue up done.jpg
    0006 big blank first glue up done.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 0007 bulge blank in clamps.jpg
    0007 bulge blank in clamps.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 0008 waiting their turn.jpg
    0008 waiting their turn.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 62
I was in bed bath and beyond sunday with my wife, she had to get some gifts.

I walked over to check out their cutting boards and prices.

I was surprised at the nice quality and good looking boards and the prices were reasonable, considering everyone has a 20% off one item or 5 dollars off a sale coupon.

with the bulge board blanks glued up, it's on to the angle board blanks.

Attachments

• 0009 first taper blank out of clamps.jpg
    0009 first taper blank out of clamps.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 35
  • 0010 second taper in clamps.jpg
    0010 second taper in clamps.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 38
busy day today, started when i went to pop's right after work this morning, around 5:30, and finishing up around 8 tonight. first of all, i've a list of 22 items that i need to do, and i got about half of it out of the way today. the first task was to cut another 280 maple and walnut plugs, as i had not done a head count, i didn't have enough plugs. each board requires 120 of each, maple and walnut plugs. now i have enough. went home and caught a short nap before taking the wife :blah: to school, then caught another three hours, as she demanded that i get some sleep. after that, i went back to pop's and commenced to working on fixing the first of next year's state fair projects, a cutting board for herself as a gift for a friend of hers, and get the last of the board blanks out of the clamps. good thing i have the drum sander, as it handled the lion's share of sanding the cutting board blanks. the ones for the bulging ones, and chevron ones are quite heavy. then it was take a break, work on something else (her board), and then back to sanding. after i got her board out of the clamps, i flattened it out on the planer, then did the cuts. i then took everything inside and showed pop how the board that took first place was made. he found it quite interesting when i told him about flipping every other strip to get the pattern, then turning them up on edge (edge grain board, my first). then it was out to the garage again to glue it up and put it in clamps, and some final sanding, then a bit of clean up. can't wait to hit it again tomorrow!

Attachments

• 0020 taper board blank sanded ready for cutting.jpg
    0020 taper board blank sanded ready for cutting.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 0030 taper board blank cut.jpg
    0030 taper board blank cut.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 0040 all three taper board blanks cut.jpg
    0040 all three taper board blanks cut.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 050 bulge and chevron blanks sanded.jpg
    050 bulge and chevron blanks sanded.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 44
went right to it again. sanded until nice and smooth. then started with the cutting. started with the tapering boards, then the chevron, and finished up with the bulge boards. tomorrow the gluing up starts.

Attachments

• 0060 board blanks sanded ready to be cut.jpg
    0060 board blanks sanded ready to be cut.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 0070 first of chevron board parts cut.jpg
    0070 first of chevron board parts cut.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 0080 first chevron board test fitted.jpg
    0080 first chevron board test fitted.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 0090 first of bulge boards being cut.jpg
    0090 first of bulge boards being cut.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 0100 first bulge board test fitted.jpg
    0100 first bulge board test fitted.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 52
  • 0110 ready to be glued up.jpg
    0110 ready to be glued up.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 48
still going! glued up the tapered and chevron boards. lost one of the chevron boards due to a bit of an angle that crept in and couldn't be salvaged. well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. starting to work on the setup of the bulge boards tonight. i figure the only way to get the holes drilled accurately for the plugs is to lay out where they will go before gluing up the blank, then gluing up the blank in stages, 3 strips at a time, then glue those assemblies together.

Attachments

• 0120 first chevron in clamps.jpg
    0120 first chevron in clamps.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 0130 second chevron in clamps.jpg
    0130 second chevron in clamps.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 0140 third chevron in clamps.jpg
    0140 third chevron in clamps.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 0150 trial setup of tapered board.jpg
    0150 trial setup of tapered board.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 44
  • 0160 trial setup lines.jpg
    0160 trial setup lines.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 0170 first tapered board in clamps.jpg
    0170 first tapered board in clamps.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 47
today's fun continued....

Attachments

• 0190 third tapered board in clamps.jpg
    0190 third tapered board in clamps.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 0200 first chevron board trimmed.jpg
    0200 first chevron board trimmed.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 0210 second chevron board trimmed.jpg
    0210 second chevron board trimmed.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 0220 ready for final sanding.jpg
    0220 ready for final sanding.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 0180 second tapered board in clamps.jpg
    0180 second tapered board in clamps.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 47
spent some time on sunday night laying out all of the plug locations in the bulge boards. tomorrow i start drilling the holes, then gluing in the plugs. then its gluing up the blanks in stages, then final sanding.

Attachments

• 0230 plug locations laid out.jpg
    0230 plug locations laid out.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 49
busy morning this morning. re-covered one of the cushions on the couch, as a hole had developed over time. then helped the neighbor (neighbour for our brit friends) with his flat tire. then poked locator holes for all 720 holes in the bulge boards. just got back from pop's house, having drilled all said 720 holes. tonight will be taken up with gluing in the plugs.

Attachments

• 0240 bulge board with holes drilled.jpg
    0240 bulge board with holes drilled.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
Awesome writeup, Dan, Thanks! :thumb:

still going! glued up the tapered and chevron boards. lost one of the chevron boards due to a bit of an angle that crept in and couldn't be salvaged.

Can't quite picture this... :huh: Do you mean there was some slippage when gluing up? No chance of just making it a smaller one?

all 720 holes

ditto what Vaughn said... :eek:

I assume these are just on one side of the board, or are you making them double sided?

...art

art - just the one side.

after the wife :blah: and i got back home last night, i figured that i would put the plugs in one of the boards. now i have to find my flush cutting saw, and trim all these lil devils down. with that done, i can glue up the strips in stages.

Attachments

• 0250 plugs in the first board.jpg
    0250 plugs in the first board.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47