primer over silicon sealent?

larry merlau

i have made 3 windows and sealed the glass with silicon, as well as the outside edges where water could seep in, well i tried using some kilz for the primer and its water base:( and just beads up on the silicon areas so what can use to cover this for a primer? would oil base kilz do it, i tried to seal it with shellac first and then the water base and same trouble. can i just spray it with a lacquer base paint then cover that with the final color later?

I'm not sure if anything will stick to the sealant, but if something does...it would be shellac. Since that didn't work (the shellac) I'm doubtful you will be able to coat it with anything. One thing that might work would be to cover the existing silicone with another layer, but use the "paintable" kind, some of them are labeled silicone. Then paint that. To be honest I doubt this will work, but the only thing I can think of.

As said above nothing sticks to silicone and the same goes for silicone it sticks to nothing.:( If you have the time to wait until it has cured pull it off and redo with a paintable caulk. My go to would be Proflex:thumb: