Home made small carving mallet

Rob Keeble

Well this afternoon I got a "b" in my bonnet to make a mallet for wood carving. I had picked up a piece of sintered brass scrap with a hole bored right through it at a local surplus place before going on holiday. Had planned to make mallets before leaving but time ran out.

So this afternoon cut a piece of the brass off after weighing it and took a piece of dogwood that I purchase way back from LV on a sale and made a handle. Did some work to the brass on the lathe and then assembled and sanded the whole assembly.

Will be making another two of these given the brass I have.

Linda wants her own. Not sure about this woodworking with the wife thing....now she is wanting her "own" tools. :rofl: This could get testy.

Here is the evidence sorry cell phone pics not the greatest but its fastest.

2013-09-15_19-30-45_36.jpg2013-09-15_19-31-45_643.jpg

BTW if anyone is interested LV has some great little mallets like this for carving

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=30263&cat=1,41504,43688

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDz__q5zDE&feature=player_embedded

... ...now she is wanting her "own" tools. :rofl: This could get testy. ...

Early in my relationship with LOML, it was obvious she understood a lot about tools. She wasn't interested in making things, per se, but at least she knew why I was interested in different tools. Christmas gifts between us were a combination of useful and 'silly' stuff. The year we got our first house, I was shopping for her and found what I thought was the perfect gift. I wrapped it nicely and presented it to her as we sat by the tree on Christmas Eve. It had a little weight to it and, when she pulled the paper off of it, she shrieked! It was her own "Do It Herself Kit" - a tool kit designed for women with very usable, albeit slightly smaller versions of things like a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. - tools one needs for household fixes. She never had to ask me for a screwdriver, etc., again. Three years ago on Black Friday, I found a similar kit with more robust tools at Lowe's and bought it for her. She liked it so much she gave her original kit to a good friend. Diamonds aren't the only things our women appreciate!

Oh, by the way Rob - great job on your mallet! :thumb:

That's a great-looking mallet, Rob. Well done! :thumb:

...when she pulled the paper off of it, she shrieked! It was her own "Do It Herself Kit" - a tool kit designed for women with very usable, albeit slightly smaller versions of things like a hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. - tools one needs for household fixes...

For some reason, my wife wasn't nearly as excited about the tool kit I got for her...

image029.jpg

Lol Vaughn....lol.

Ryan answer is yes, brass is soft and i had Vaughns words from Xmas echoing in my head so i stopped and sharpened my lathe tools quickly before having a go at the brass with my scraper. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the kind comments guys. It really was no big deal. The hole through the brass was the lucky part.

Roger Mike Henderson started me on turning brass on my lathe. :) He show a tutorial on making a small hammer and started with a bit of brass. Just go slow, sharpen the scraper and get the rest close and solid. Dont try take much off each time and with patience and later sandpaper its perfect. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2