Thread: Building drawers for a crowded under-sink cabinet

Building drawers for a crowded under-sink cabinet

Most under the sink cabinets are very crowded with a combination of plumbing pipes, taps, etc. as well as all kinds of stuff. The cabinet in the Loo on the main floor of our house is very typical in this regard. Here is a photo that I took about half an hour ago:

Attachment 6800

I recently did an extensive renovation of the bathroom attached to our master bedroom and decided that I did not want to put up with this sort of thing there (or anywhere else for that matter).

So, I came up with a design that has a sub-cabinet with drawers on each side coupled with an open area for large bottles and things like that in the middle. The cabinets as well as the top drawer were built with a cut out of the corner to accommodate the shut-off taps. Here is a sub-cabinet with one drawer being checked for fit both in the cabinet and around a tap:

Attachment 6797 Attachment 6808

The design is such that it is possible to manipulate the cut-cut off taps with the sub-cabinets in place.

The sub-cabinets are mostly made of 12mm baltic birch. With the limited space, I wanted to maximize box the width and height of the drawers, so I decided to experiment with slim-line drawer slides that I purchased from Lee Valley (see: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...43616&p=40591). To use these, it is necessary to route a groove in the drawer sides. I did this after building the drawers:

Attachment 6799

The were kind of finicky to install, but once installed work well. And, there is only 4 milimetres of “waste” space between the drawer side and the sub-cabinet.

I painted the sub-cabinets and the drawers, with the same paint the I used for the cabinet and other trim. I will digress for a while to point out how much I appreciate my Festool Linear sander when preparing material for painting jobs like this:

Attachment 6801

Here, the sub-cabinets with drawers are waiting for installation into the sink cabinet:

Attachment 6802

And here they are installed –using only a coupe of small angle brackets for each sub-cabinet:

Attachment 6803

And here is the sink cabinet with the cabinet doors installed:

Attachment 6804

As with all projects that I engage it, there were a few miss-steps along the way. For example, don’t even ask why I was trimming a bit off this drawer, then later gluing as much as was left of the off-cut back onto the drawer again :

Attachment 6805 Attachment 6806

In closing I will say that both Margaret and I are very happy with the result and, next winter, I will tackle some or all of the other 4 under-sink cabinets in our house.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 04-09-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typos
    Cheers, Frank

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Great idea Frank! I, too, hate the clutter down there and it seems that whatever thing I really need is hiding in the back.
    Don't believe everything you think!

Excellent "DE" cluttering idea!!!! Fight that alot with our corner kitchen sink. I may be copying part or all of this design. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Jessie and Jonathan, and Jonathan I would be honoured if you made use of all or part of the design. Please let me know (with pictures ) if you do so.
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow View Post
    In closing I will say that both Margaret and I are very happy with the result and, next winter, I will tackle some or all of the other 4 under-sink cabinets in our house.
    I agree that this drawers are great. Thanks Frank, and it would be good if you did not wait so long to build more of them.

Frank... first of all thank you for sharing your accomplishment. Under the bathroom sink is difficult to organize... especially with the plumbing. Great job on your project!!

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret Pellow View Post
    I agree that this drawers are great. Thanks Frank, and it would be good if you did not wait so long to build more of them.
    Margaret... I agree they look great and help to keep things organized... I vote you have him do some more "soon" instead of waiting until next winter...

Good luck!!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Denise Walsh View Post
    Frank... first of all thank you for sharing your accomplishment. Under the bathroom sink is difficult to organize... especially with the plumbing. Great job on your project!!

Margaret... I agree they look great and help to keep things organized... I vote you have him do some more "soon" instead of waiting until next winter...

Good luck!!

Denise
    Hey Denise, I don't really think that I need friends like you voting to make my current task list look even worse than it is.
    Cheers, Frank

Frank, another creative solution. Excellent job. I know that our bathroom cabinets could use some of this kind of loving attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra View Post
    Frank, another creative solution. Excellent job. I know that our bathroom cabinets could use some of this kind of loving attention.
    Thanks Jason, but I didn't feel very loving about giving my attention to this job. There were a lot of other jobs that I would have prefered be working on.
    Cheers, Frank