Building drawers for a crowded under-sink cabinet

Frank Pellow

Most under the sink cabinets are very crowded with a combination of plumbing pipes, taps, etc. as well as all kinds of stuff. The cabinet in the Loo on the main floor of our house is very typical in this regard. Here is a photo that I took about half an hour ago:

Drawers under sink 00 -Typical wasteland in a small under-sink cabinet -small.JPG

I recently did an extensive renovation of the bathroom attached to our master bedroom and decided that I did not want to put up with this sort of thing there (or anywhere else for that matter).

So, I came up with a design that has a sub-cabinet with drawers on each side coupled with an open area for large bottles and things like that in the middle. The cabinets as well as the top drawer were built with a cut out of the corner to accommodate the shut-off taps. Here is a sub-cabinet with one drawer being checked for fit both in the cabinet and around a tap:

Drawers under sink 01 -Partly finished sub cabinet tested for position -small.JPG Drawers under sink 02 -Corner cut out of sub cabinet and of top drawer to accomodate tap -small.JPG

The design is such that it is possible to manipulate the cut-cut off taps with the sub-cabinets in place.

The sub-cabinets are mostly made of 12mm baltic birch. With the limited space, I wanted to maximize box the width and height of the drawers, so I decided to experiment with slim-line drawer slides that I purchased from Lee Valley (see: http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43614,43616&p=40591). To use these, it is necessary to route a groove in the drawer sides. I did this after building the drawers:

Drawers under sink 03 -Routing channel in side of drawer -small.JPG

The were kind of finicky to install, but once installed work well. And, there is only 4 milimetres of “waste” space between the drawer side and the sub-cabinet.

I painted the sub-cabinets and the drawers, with the same paint the I used for the cabinet and other trim. I will digress for a while to point out how much I appreciate my Festool Linear sander when preparing material for painting jobs like this:

Drawers under sink 04 -Sanding a drawer-small.JPG

Here, the sub-cabinets with drawers are waiting for installation into the sink cabinet:

Drawers under sink 05 -Finished sub-cabinets and drawers waiting for installation -small.JPG

And here they are installed –using only a coupe of small angle brackets for each sub-cabinet:

Drawers under sink 06  Sub-cabinets and drawers installed -small.JPG

And here is the sink cabinet with the cabinet doors installed:

Drawers under sink 07 -Cabinet with the dooors closed -small.JPG

As with all projects that I engage it, there were a few miss-steps along the way. :eek: For example, don’t even ask why I was trimming a bit off this drawer, then later gluing as much as was left of the off-cut back onto the drawer again :eek: :

Drawers under sink 08 -Goof -1 -small.JPG Drawers under sink 09 -Goof -2 -small.JPG

In closing I will say that both Margaret and I are very happy with the result :thumb: and, next winter, I will tackle some or all of the other 4 under-sink cabinets in our house.

Last edited:
In closing I will say that both Margaret and I are very happy with the result :thumb: and, next winter, I will tackle some or all of the other 4 under-sink cabinets in our house.
I agree that this drawers are great. Thanks Frank, and it would be good if you did not wait so long to build more of them.

Frank... first of all thank you for sharing your accomplishment. :) Under the bathroom sink is difficult to organize... especially with the plumbing. Great job on your project!! :thumb:

I agree that this drawers are great. Thanks Frank, and it would be good if you did not wait so long to build more of them.

Margaret... I agree they look great and help to keep things organized... :) I vote you have him do some more "soon" instead of waiting until next winter... :thumb:

Good luck!!

Denise

Frank... first of all thank you for sharing your accomplishment. :) Under the bathroom sink is difficult to organize... especially with the plumbing. Great job on your project!! :thumb:

Margaret... I agree they look great and help to keep things organized... :) I vote you have him do some more "soon" instead of waiting until next winter... :thumb:

Good luck!!

Denise
Hey Denise, I don't really think that I need friends like you :D voting to make my current task list look even worse :eek: than it is.