Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about inlace acrylester

question about inlace acrylester

I got in my bottle stopper chuck so I decided to make a practice stopper.
    Used some scrap walnut I had glued up.
    drilled the 23/64 hole as instructions said, the first stopper came off chuck, couldn't finish.
    second stopper, I used a 21/64 bit, fit tight, was able to finish it, but I wont use it, didn't sand it good, too boring.
    before I drill some inlace acrylester, any suggestions as to what size bit? instrustions say 23/64(niles and psi stoppers)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1508.jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 09-19-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    Human Test Dummy

When you say it came off of the chuck, how do you mean this? It flew off and hit the wall? Unthreaded itself? Stripped its threads while you were turning it?
    I don't have my set handy, but I do have a drill bit and a tap so I cut good threads in not just relying on the threads of the chuck to cut them. Then if the wood has any spalting or punking going on after cutting the threads I apply general amounts of thin glue, allow to dry and then recut the threads and have had success that way.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    When you say it came off of the chuck, how do you mean this? It flew off and hit the wall? Unthreaded itself? Stripped its threads while you were turning it?
    I don't have my set handy, but I do have a drill bit and a tap so I cut good threads in not just relying on the threads of the chuck to cut them. Then if the wood has any spalting or punking going on after cutting the threads I apply general amounts of thin glue, allow to dry and then recut the threads and have had success that way.
    I do the same as Jonathan.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Me three. I use a tap before putting the blank on the chuck. For your case Allen, I'd suggest drilling the hole with the smaller 21/64" bit, then using a tap to cut threads in the plastic. If it seems too tight for the tap, then I'd go to the bigger drill bit.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    stripped its threads while on the chuck.
    Human Test Dummy

well, the wife has a house full of women tonight, so I decided at 7 to go out and try a stopper with this stuff.
    The threads worked out fine. it held tight, and I had to use a wrench to screw it in the last few turns.

Ofcourse, Im ashamed to display my work, it was pretty much a disaster, as turning this stuff for me wasn't easy at all, and I had chip outs I couldn't repair with sanding.
    My biggest mistake, an unforgiving one, is that I must have drilled the blank a couple of degrees off, so when I screwed in the stopper, it didn't go in straight, and doesn't sit flush all the way around.
    So that and the chip outs, well, I failed. plain and simple.

The instructions say not to use carbide tips, but I don't work skews well, and the entire body of the piece came out without chip outs, it was only the top, maybe Im doing something wrong.
    Tough to tell from the pictures.
    I wont toss it, Ill keep it for my house when I have an open bottle, no one will notice but its good to remind myself to do better.
    The glue set and I couldn't unscrew it, but for the 3.50 the stopper cost, eh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1510.jpg   100_1511.jpg  
    Human Test Dummy

I use the Ruth Niles chuck and also her short bite she sales. Never had a problem, on soft wood I do the CA the threads thing mentioned above. I drill on the lathe.
    "We the People ......"

Inlace is a problem for experienced pen turners. Personally I won't use it if the same things can be found in PR. Have a shot with a 3/8...see if it's closer. IA doesn't do well with a lot of curves, must be turned with stupid sharp stuff and very light cuts. I can pull an 1/8 off a resin blank at a shot with a skew but IA...maybe 1/32". Those stoppers are chrome plated brass and will pit and "rot" in a really short time if used on a regular basis.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Seeing you were able to get clean cuts on the sides but not on the end, I suspect the chipout problem on the end was at least partially due to vibration. Since the base of the blank was not sitting flush on the chuck (or mandrel), the blank would be prone to vibrate when working on the end of it. Even though you may not be satisfied with the results, you still walked away with more knowledge that you started with, and you know the next one will be better because of it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

i find that i have 2 problems when turning stoppers, thread tear out, and having the darned chuck come loose.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking