Debarking live edge slab

Mike Frencel

Hi guys,

Im working with some walnut live edge and want to debark the live edge. I'm currently using a chisel but its slow going and i will have to do alot of sanding to get to the sapwood. Any tips?

Careful use of a draw knife. Then a wire wheel on the angle grinder. You'll still have to do a distressing amount of sanding. A flap sander on the grinder or ros might help some in the less detailed spots. Definitely a face mask with the wire wheel, it throws a ton of nasty dust when using it to debark.

As Ryan suggests, be sure to use a dust mask. Walnut can be a wonderful source of allergic responses, at least it is for me.

An angle grinder with a "Lancelot" wheel, AND a guard. The Lancelot is a wheel made to fit the grinder spindle, with a chainsaw band around it. (that is why the guard is required) A side handle on the grinder is needed as well, for best control. Cuts as aggressively as you want it to, from lightly to deep cutting. ALWAYS wear a full face shield and a good dust mask, and be sure to seal it around your nose too. (I have seen people wearing masks below their nose. Lot of good that does them)

An angle grinder with a "Lancelot" wheel, AND a guard. The Lancelot is a wheel made to fit the grinder spindle, with a chainsaw band around it. (that is why the guard is required) A side handle on the grinder is needed as well, for best control. Cuts as aggressively as you want it to, from lightly to deep cutting. ALWAYS wear a full face shield and a good dust mask, and be sure to seal it around your nose too. (I have seen people wearing masks below their nose. Lot of good that does them)

And keep both hands on the grinder until it's spun down.... Ask me how I know (no digits were lost but I wasn't sure for a few minutes and I only have a fingernail by the grace of about 1/100 of an inch although it's about 1/4" longer on that finger now than its partner). Really takes the wood of though :)