Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pork Shoulder for pulled pork

Pork Shoulder for pulled pork

Well our pork shoulder is in the smoker. This is going to be a first for me so we shall see where we end up,

Linda chose the recipe from Alton Brown on Food Network you can see it here

What we did was to use a plastic tub we got from dollar store to be able to soak it in the molasses brine overnight.

Then we had a crisis this morn because before we put the rub on Linda started having thoughts about the skin needing to come off and in the recipe he makes no mention of this.

I looked at what Darren had done and took the view he had his off from the pics, no time to ask. So that caused a further run to the workshop to sharpen the knives in this house. Man I am going to buy a set and lock them up so when I want a sharp knife I have it. My wife has no respect for sharp objects or blunt ones but sharp enough to cut yourself when you force it to do something its not capable of because its BLUNT!!! woman. sorry but I think some of you know what I mean.

So the precious minutes of getting up early to get this shoulder its cooking time, are ticking away while we do all these extraneous activities.

Cooking together is fun...Not ...but sometimes, we a team at times.

So now all I got to do is keep that puppy smoking and at the correct temp which Alton is calling as 210F ,I thought that was a bit low but hey who am I.

Brent....next week the PID has just been moved to the very top of the list ....right up there because this hit and miss thermostat nonsense is out.

I am going to have to look up your thread and check out the details, expect an email from me.

Visitors arrive at 5pm right now we got a drizzle that is from the rain that you guys down south west sent us last night and it looks like until afternoon. Hopefully it clears by late afternoon.

No mechanic duties today, yippee, my union says I don't have to work in the rain.

Have a good one guys my stomach is grumbling already.
    cheers

A cook temperature of 210° seems a little low, but if Alton says do it like that, it's gotta work. I do ribs and butts at 225-250. Ribs take 5-6 hours; butts 8-10 hours.

As to the skin being taken off, I've never seen a Boston butt with skin on it. Did you get a whole pork shoulder ?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

The 210 seems a little low to me as well.

My PID Factory has suffered from other projects being put on the front burner, both at work and home. Hopefully I'll get that solved herein the next week or so.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Good luck. Seems a little low to me as well, but I'm a rank amateur.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Search snippet:
    "Shoulders, pork butts and picnic "hams" are part and parcel of the same front leg and shoulder of a hog...When the top of the shoulder is removed it
    becomes a pork butt or Boston butt. What remains is a picnic or picnic shoulder. Both can be used for "pulled pork". The butt being favored because
    of the higher meat to bone ratio..or boneless. Whole shoulders, and fresh picnics are usually sold skin on...while the butt portion is sold skin off."

We've done a picnic shoulder in the past and left the skin on, takes a little longer that way but boy o boy does that part ever crispen up and tastes soooo
    good... & add another curious of the temp. called for.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

210 is lower than I'd normally cook (225 - 250), but it will just take longer. I know folks that cook at 180, but for 20 or more hours though. A lot of the temp theory has to do with the type of smoke you're generating, which won't apply to you as much since you're running electric, the type you get is all you're going to get. If you're getting a white smoke you're getting a little more soot and ash on the product, if it's coming out with a blueish tint, that is ideal for most folks. The temps for most smokers to get that blue tint is a little higher temp. The target is the temp of the meat, which will be about 195 (ideal) to 200, which will depend on the size of the piece. A good test is when the bone is loose or the probe goes in the meat real easy.

As for leaving the skin on. That is preference, the ones I buy come without it, but will add a lot of flavor with it. Most folks remove it to get more smoke inside, but some leave it and will leave the skin exposed the entire cook time to get it nice and crispy (southern folks call this cracklin). Can also score it to allow more smoke/seasonings to get inside too though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

That will take a while at 210, but will still be good. Just wanted to chime in on the knife thing. I feel your pain, BTDT.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I am of the higher temp crowd I'd do it at a about (that's aboot to you guys up north) 240
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Well after seeing the comments from Ya all i cranked the temp up. I dont want to be hear to next day before i eat. Now i am getting worried it wont be ready for visitors.

How come you guys never said this is stressful. Do you know what its like with a wife that works to rule with a clock. She played her cards very cleverly cause she put the ball all in my court. But that never worried me before so I aint gonna let it now. Thanks to all of you for the feedback.
    cheers

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Just leave the door closed so that thing doesn't loose and heat.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward