box for a bible

A friends Grandmother passed awhile back. She asked me if I would make her a box to keep her bible in. The panel is spalted maple the box is qs red oak and the made by me hinges are zirocote. They are the first hinges I've made.

IMAG1462.jpgIMAG1463.jpgIMAG1464.jpgtop shot.jpg

Beautiful box John. You did a fantastic job on the whole thing, really nice job on the hinders.

I might suggest getting a piece of low acid paper or (? anyone have other ideas? Felt maybe?) and lining the bottom so there is no chance of the finish interacting with the bible (probably leather).

Gret job on the box and love the wood choices:thumb: I have only made 1set of wooden hinges and can attest to the challenge of making them and yours are spot on:)

Beautiful box John. You did a fantastic job on the whole thing, really nice job on the hinders.

I might suggest getting a piece of low acid paper or (? anyone have other ideas? Felt maybe?) and lining the bottom so there is no chance of the finish interacting with the bible (probably leather).

Thanks, when I see her I'll suggest the paper thing to her.

Beautiful job on the box John. Will definitely be a family keepsake. I also think that felt or parchment paper will keep the cover from sticking to the finish.
I've seen bible boxes in some of our local museums and they appear to have finish on the outside of the box but the inside looks like bare wood.

Did you use the ibox for the hinges ?

I think that will make a handsome home for a treasured item. I really like the hinges and I'm sure the bible and box will become a set.