Bridgewood MS10 mortiser

Dave Black

I picked up a bridgewood ms10 mortiser this past week, I came across it listed for $50 on ebay, started bidding a few bucks at a time, I ended up the high bidder with 8 seconds left. $151 and a half hour later I had it in the truck. Its very heavy, I think 360 or so pounds. I had to take the head and column off to get the machine out of the owners basement. It only came with a 1/4" chisel and bit so I need to get a set, any recommendations? Heres the listing pic.
$T2eC16d,!wsE9suwyw6jBSC3c2GcV!~~60_57.jpg

Hot dang! That's a beast. Sounds like one heck of a good deal. :thumb:

I wasn't in an immediate need of a mortiser but for that kind of price I couldn't pass it up. I kept telling myself "I don't NEED this but it's so cheap" as I kept bidding. I almost stopped bidding but put in 1 final bid at 8 seconds telling myself there's no way I'll win this for this price. Well I was wrong and very happy about it.

I picked up a bridgewood ms10 mortiser this past week...It only came with a 1/4" chisel and bit so I need to get a set, any recommendations?..

Great buy! Congrats!

For chisels, measure the shank first - they come in several sizes. I think 13/16" is the most common. Lee Valley has good ones, at reasonable prices. Stay away from the cheap sets, they're generally garbage. While you're ordering the chisels, get a set of the sharpening cones, too. They'll put a great edge on the chisels, and make using them a lot easier.

. . . I kept telling myself "I don't NEED this but it's so cheap" as I kept bidding. I almost stopped bidding but put in 1 final bid at 8 seconds telling myself there's no way I'll win this for this price. Well I was wrong . . .

That happened to a friend of mine and he wound up with a 63 Lincoln town car in a field 1500 miles away.

You got a good get. Used bench top models go for more than that. You'll spend more than your purchase price on chisels and bits. Can't help you with chisel/bit recommendations - mine came with my mortiser (Swiss made Delta brand) and i'm happy enough with them.

Good luck with your new toy.