Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Following the America's Cup?

Anyone Following the America's Cup?

I can't get it live, have to watch it after the fact on Youtube. What a turnaround for the Oracle boat! Those ships are amazing, the speed they can do.
    "We the People ......"

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I actually had the opportunity to see them (1 race) live when they held it in San Diego several years ago.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I watched some of the louis Vuitton cup, and have watched most of the the races live so far. It's on NBC Sports. On dish network anyway, that's NBCSP, I think channel 159? They don't have it listed, but if you tune in at 1:00pm PDT, you'll be able to watch them live tomorrow.

Actually, I think on youtube you can watch the live race as well. Go to the Americas Cup Channel at 1:00pm and check it out.

I had totally written off the Oracle team (hard to call it team USA when there are so few USA team members except Larry Ellison). But they have won me over. I'm hardcore rooting for them now.

I refuse to believe in the 2 point penalty they were saddled with and really like to think of it as a tie game right now.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'll be on a sailing excursion of my own starting tomorrow and will have to catch the final race(s) after the fact. Really pulling for Oracle though.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Wouldn't miss it (but may have to, tomorrow on).

Those cats are amazing, but I kind of miss the old school ships. Seems like whoever gets out of the gate first, has it made. I do like the Oracle come back. Go USA

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Korn View Post
    Wouldn't miss it (but may have to, tomorrow on).

Those cats are amazing, but I kind of miss the old school ships. Seems like whoever gets out of the gate first, has it made. I do like the Oracle come back. Go USA
    SNAP.

Glad to see there is someone that thinks like me. I was thinking this point through last night after seeing your post Don. As big a fan as i am of cats and i am a former cat sailor, the cup to me was always conventional yachts so i am perplexed about hi tech taking over.

Sound like a fuddy duddy but to me the sailing of the traditional single hull yachts was like a good bottle of wine, there is more to it than just the drink. Something seems lost to me.

Its a bit like the story Peter Rideout was telling me yesterday about the delays in getting the Bluenose launched. Seems now to get certified to sail in US waters and port, the new Bluenose needs to have a steel rudder that can be turned 90 degrees in an emergency. Rules and bureaucrats changing an entire vessel. It can never be the same again.
    cheers

Race is starting in less than a minute...GO TEAM USA

Team USA won...can't wait for the second race

I can't get it. Do not have it on my TV channels and Youtube is not showing it live in America. Booo Youtube!
    "We the People ......"

Just got done watching it. Won't spoil it for you, but on the Americas Cup Home site they claim it's being shown live on Youtube and NBC Sports

http://www.americascup.com/
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Team Oracle wins two today. In my mind, USA won because I don't buy those penalties before they even started racing. And if NZ was throwing them to make the races longer, be careful what you wish for. Save that for the baseball World Series...