Anyone Following the America's Cup?

I watched some of the louis Vuitton cup, and have watched most of the the races live so far. It's on NBC Sports. On dish network anyway, that's NBCSP, I think channel 159? They don't have it listed, but if you tune in at 1:00pm PDT, you'll be able to watch them live tomorrow.

Actually, I think on youtube you can watch the live race as well. Go to the Americas Cup Channel at 1:00pm and check it out.

I had totally written off the Oracle team (hard to call it team USA when there are so few USA team members except Larry Ellison). But they have won me over. I'm hardcore rooting for them now.

I refuse to believe in the 2 point penalty they were saddled with and really like to think of it as a tie game right now.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I'll be on a sailing excursion of my own starting tomorrow and will have to catch the final race(s) after the fact. Really pulling for Oracle though.

Wouldn't miss it (but may have to, tomorrow on).

Those cats are amazing, but I kind of miss the old school ships. Seems like whoever gets out of the gate first, has it made. I do like the Oracle come back. Go USA:thumb:

SNAP.

Glad to see there is someone that thinks like me. I was thinking this point through last night after seeing your post Don. As big a fan as i am of cats and i am a former cat sailor, the cup to me was always conventional yachts so i am perplexed about hi tech taking over.

Sound like a fuddy duddy but to me the sailing of the traditional single hull yachts was like a good bottle of wine, there is more to it than just the drink. Something seems lost to me.

Its a bit like the story Peter Rideout was telling me yesterday about the delays in getting the Bluenose launched. Seems now to get certified to sail in US waters and port, the new Bluenose needs to have a steel rudder that can be turned 90 degrees in an emergency. Rules and bureaucrats changing an entire vessel. It can never be the same again.

Just got done watching it. Won't spoil it for you, but on the Americas Cup Home site they claim it's being shown live on Youtube and NBC Sports

http://www.americascup.com/

Not to worry, my son is calling me during and after each race to keep me well informed. Almost wish he wouldn't because I can watch the replays on Youtube, still love talking to my son and I find it exciting even when I know the outcome.

If you click on Youtube, it says something like: sorry not shown live in your country. Youtube must originate in New Zeland :rolleyes:

And Ron, I love the old style single hull ships also, and miss seeing the sails bellow out and move back and forth, the spinnaker (whatever it is called, I'm not a sailer) bellowing out after they round a buoy all the beauty of a real sailboat, but this is mighty exciting also. The speed, the technology, how quickly the distances between boats can change... Kinda like the difference between the NASCAR races and the Formula 1 race cars. Anyway, even if the Oracle loses tomorrow they can still hold their heads high. It didn't look good for them at the beginning of this series.

Last edited: