Seems there's always something to be done while glue is drying. Despite my best efforts to build more than enough clamp racks way back when, I somehow have arrived at a place where I have more clamps than racks . I had used this "fingered" approach on smaller clamps and decided to step up to the heavier stuff. Here's the general idea:
I cut the wedge shaped arms from rectangles using a tapering jig. I then drill a 3/4" hole at the top rear area. A section of oak dowel gets glued into the holes like a cross-dowel to give the screw some grip. A second screw goes below the first screw to prevent twist.
The backer is about 12" x 16-1/2". I am making a pair as it only takes a little more effort to make multiples. Once I confirm the hole pattern, I use one backer as a template for the other:
The wedges are also ganged for drilling and an end vise makes a good assembly jig:
So now where 8 clamps fit . . .
I can fit 18 . Same space, more storage. Life is good.
I just screwed this one together as a test. I'll break it down and glue-and-screw both sets and then hit them with some shellac.