Cleat Hung Clamp Racks V2

glenn bradley

Seems there's always something to be done while glue is drying. Despite my best efforts to build more than enough clamp racks way back when, I somehow have arrived at a place where I have more clamps than racks :huh:. I had used this "fingered" approach on smaller clamps and decided to step up to the heavier stuff. Here's the general idea:

Cleat Clamps v2.jpg

I cut the wedge shaped arms from rectangles using a tapering jig. I then drill a 3/4" hole at the top rear area. A section of oak dowel gets glued into the holes like a cross-dowel to give the screw some grip. A second screw goes below the first screw to prevent twist.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (1).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (2).jpg

The backer is about 12" x 16-1/2". I am making a pair as it only takes a little more effort to make multiples. Once I confirm the hole pattern, I use one backer as a template for the other:

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (3).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (5).jpg

The wedges are also ganged for drilling and an end vise makes a good assembly jig:

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (6).jpg . Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (7).jpg

So now where 8 clamps fit . . .
Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (4).jpg

I can fit 18 ;). Same space, more storage. Life is good.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (8).jpg

I just screwed this one together as a test. I'll break it down and glue-and-screw both sets and then hit them with some shellac.

Excellent Glenn well thought out but the better point I like is continuous improvement. I find I get stuck with what I have done and make do. But its not always adequate. Good reminder to keep reinventing.

A sigh of relief :p. No clamps on the floor and I even have spots for a few more.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (10).jpg

This is the first proto-type that never died and so became my 4" clamp holder near the bench.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (11).jpg

The larger version 2 fixtures handle some K-bodys and my F-style clamps in a small space.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (12).jpg

Now I can finish up some drawers and get some other "stuff" off the floor so I can make something else :)

That shop is sickening! How do you get anything done with a shop that organized?! Great clamp rack, my clamps always lay around wherever I happen to use them last. That way I don't have to get much accomplished because I am alway looking for clamps. There is no method to my madness!

Not being too sure how the copyright police were feeling today, I deviated a bit :D
:bliss: no more knocking half a dozen off while reaching for one. And, now I can show the wife{hint hint} all the empty space on the rack... I knew down deep if I didn't jump on this right away, it would surely get lost in the shuffle. Thanks for sharing once again Glenn!
pic 001.jpg

yeah, that's what Im talking about........as soon as I have freedom, your idea is a must for me. I don't have any walls space left for new clamps I expect to get.
Instead of using plywood and drilling in pegs, Im thinking of using scrap maple or another hard wood with long predrilled screws.

Now, if you could show me how to clean up my disgusting caked on glue clamps, Id be very appreciative. I wasn't as careful in the beginning, and 6 of my 30 inch besseys are in disgusting shape.