Hey Sparky...wiring question 4U

I'm changing the power cord on my old Delta single phase 1/2 hp motor... I'm bypassing the on/off switch to leave simply a receptacle end, which will then be plugged into a dual outlet on/off switch. Anyways, the original cord diagram on the motor does not show a 3 wire out{Blk/Wht/Grn}to the plugs end. There is no terminal for the ground. The original 2 wire set-up has been working fine, but I'm unsure if I should bypass the ground wire from the new end set-up or find a place to add the ground to the motor housing ????

For those curious, this is just to eliminate having 2 cords running across the floor from my TS & Joiner. I have exceptionally large & deep expansion grooves in my cement floor and I hope to lay the dual on/off power cord into the groove and protect it with a threshold cover of some type to avoid my {& the dogs} tripping hazard.

Your thoughts & know-how appreciated!

EDIT: Disregard, but thanks just the same! :bang:

Last edited:
Thanks Charles, but it was all for naught, the switch I planned on using is bad :(. So new plan> just re-wire the joiner motor on/off switch to allow me to move it to a more accessible location, and just set-up a dual outlet box which will still allow me to having just one cord on the floor. What I thought was going to be easy & convenient once again slapped me down :eek::rofl:.

Thank you though for the help, and I do plan on connecting the ground as you suggested! :thumb:

Yes, ground the motor. :)

The main reason why grounding is used in electrical distribution network is the safety: when all metallic parts in electrical equipment are grounded then if the insulation inside the equipment fails there are no dangerous voltages present in the equipment case. Then the live wire touches the grounded case then the circuit is effectively shorted and fuse will immediately blow. When the fuse is blown then the dangerous voltages are cut.

Thanks Darren, I knew somewhat of the safety factor, I was more confused on what goes on inside the housing as to grounding. The whole 2 wire-no ground thing threw me for a loop.
Hopefully back out to the shop in a bit {after dinner} to wrap this little episode up.

Use a three wire cord and grounding plug then connect the green (Ground) wire to the motor frame, making sure you have a metal to metal connection (no paint) tighten it down and you are good. This IS providing that you have a grounded recepticle to plug it into.