Cabbage Beef Soup

Mike Stafford

I don't know how many of you like soups but we really enjoy them and this is one of our favorite recipes for a wonderful meal in a bowl. It is not too difficult to make and fresh and hot out of the pot is delicious. It freezes well although as you would expect the cabbage loses some of its texture. With cooler weather coming on I thought it might be nice to throw in some soup recipes. Enjoy!

Cabbage and Beef Soup

1-1½ pounds lean ground beef
½ t garlic salt
¼ t garlic powder
¼ t pepper
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, un-drained
½ medium head cabbage, chopped coarsely
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 tomato can water
4 beef bouillon cubes

In a Dutch oven, brown beef. Pour off grease. Add all remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Yield: 3 quarts Freezes well.

We love soups Mike!! Now that the weather is heading north for the winter;) (Woohoo...no more 100's!!:thumb:) Stacey and I do soups and stews weekly...we have 3 Crock-pots so we get rollin'. I'll be giving this a try after the Tuscan beef stew and lentil & ham soup finishes.

Looks like a good one. LOML is not a soup person so when I make it I have to freeze a lot of it and eat it for lunch myself. I'll have to give it a try. I'll post my posole recipe sometimes. Carol, Bill, Larry, Tom and Toni all hod it in TDW 2010 and Bill asked for the recipe so I guess it's pretty taste.

Thanks Mike we love soup. Only home made ones. :)
Will pass recipe on to Linda shes our cook.
Will ask her for her butternut soup version and post it here.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2