Portable Workbench

Sean Wright

Its been a long time since I've posted anything, but I'm going to try to start it back up.

Here is a portable workbench that I made for my uncle. It is from a piece of maple bench top. It on a set of Dewalt miter saw stand brackets. This is so my uncle can have a work bench when he is doing trim carpentry at people's houses. The dog holes match the standard spacing, and the hardware is from Veritas. The pencil holder was my thing, but the trays on each side were by his request.

Attachments

• DSCN2767.jpg
    DSCN2767.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCN2771.jpg
    DSCN2771.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN2772.jpg
    DSCN2772.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN2778.jpg
    DSCN2778.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN2782.jpg
    DSCN2782.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN2785.jpg
    DSCN2785.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN2792.jpg
    DSCN2792.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 52
I like it. I especially like the pencil tray. Question, though. What is the 'standard spacing' for dog holes? Always wondered, and where do you start measuring from? From the vise dog?

Carol,

Thank you!

The holes are 3/4 of an inch in diameter, which fits the Veritas "Bench Pups". From center of one hole to the center of the next they are 4 1/2 inches apart. This is the same measurement used on the benches that Woodcraft used to sell.

When I "drilled" my main bench for bench dogs, I made a template out of MDF, that I drilled on the drill press. I drilled the holes sized to fit the router bushing that was big enough for a 3/4 in. straight router bit to fit through. For this project I re-used the template, just clamped it to the maple bench top and used the plunge router to create starter holes (the bit isn't long enough to go all the way through). Then I came back with a 3/4in Forsner bit in my cordless drill and finished the holes.

Last edited:
Super cool! What a great idea and execution. Tailored to your needs and it looks plenty stout.
Thank you!

It is stout indeed. The solid laminated maple top measures 16in by 26 1/2in by 1 1/2in thick. It is approximately the same width as a Workmate top. The top and edges are finished with 3 coats of lacquer.

With the exception of where the brackets are located, you could put the dog holes in any arrangement you wanted to.

That's very cool! It would make a good top for a fixed workbench, too.
Thank you!

There are a number of different places that sell laminated solid maple bench tops. They are usually rather pricey, though.
This came from a hunk of one of these bench tops that was used as a counter top in a store that my cousin used to own.

Sean every now and then a really clever idea comes along and this is one of them. Well done. The routing u done on the top to create those recesses will help contribute to quality of work for sure. Thanks for sharing dont be suprised if you see Dewalt come out with a version of their own as an accessory.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Hey Sean, good to see you! :wave:

I like the bench, and have logged the idea for a possible future project to do with my Ridgid MSUV miter saw stand. :thumb: