Thread: Cradle build

Cradle build

I wanted to make a cradle for my new grandson. I was hoping to send it up to Fort Mac by BPX, but I won't be ready in time, largely due to the pinched nerve in my back that's been slowing me down this week. I took a plan off the net, and made some modifications. I am using birch ply instead of building up panels from wood. I also took the canopy off the cradle for simplicity. I'll be using pine for the rockers, and will stain the whole thing with "Puritan Pine" finish from, uh, Minwax I think.

The pictures show the main parts cut out, and a trial assembly I did today. i have to clean a few things up then put the box together and build and attach the rockers.

One question: the rockers have a 28" radius curve on them, and the base of the cradle is 15" wide. Will the whole thing balance on the rockers on its own? What keeps it from flopping to one side or the other, especially with a baby inside it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle01.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	78683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle02.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	78684 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle03.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	78685 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle04.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	78686
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Looks like you are off to a good start! Can't wait to see the finished product.

I'm not sure on your question about the rockers. There is probably someone here who can help out.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Rocking chairs often have a reverse curve on the back end of the rocker to keep from rocking too far back. I have also seen a short reverse on cradle rockers to stop the 'rock' before dumping the baby out. FWIW
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

The ones I have made have a low center of gravity and sit well, even with an occupant. When you get the rockers on yours I believe you will notice the same and should not have an issue. Yours is looking good Roger and I am looking forward to see the finished cradle

I have now prepared the bed of the cradle for assembly and staining. Here is a picture of the sides and ends. I departed from the plans by using a dado joint and glue instead of the flush joint and screws called for. I am wondering whether to stain the inside parts first, and then assemble and finish it, or to just assemble it and stain the whole thing. Any suggestions appreciatiated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle05.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	78958
    Last edited by Roger Tulk; 10-20-2013 at 08:56 PM.
    Cheers,
    Roger

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

While I am asking, should I use wood conditioner on this birch ply before staining, and also the pine rockers that I haven't cut yet? Thanks for any advice on this.
    Cheers,
    Roger