Thread: Tiny Tendons

Lincoln AR

Tiny Tendons

I'm building a steam engine model that requires me to drill some 1/2 x 1/4 mortise & tendons. the wood is 3/4 x3/4.

I scribe a line in the center 5/16 half of 3/4 and I dilled two 1/4 holes. I then tried to cut off the excess with 1/4 bit in a colt router. It ended up to big. I was hard for me to tell wear the bit on the back side. I tried a smaller bit and still managed to rag it out.

I'm not going to try square it on the mortise or tendons, so just looking for ideas. I like to make a pattern but there isn't way to get a bass follower that small that I know of. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Bill why not use hand tools. Get chisels and use them to make the mortise. Just go carefully and gently.

Alternatively get a 1/8" router bit.,46171&ap=1 make a fixture and with aid of template rout it out. Use a palm router for the ability to hold it steady.

Lincoln AR
    I guess you got my creativeness going I have a HF mill. I put the wood pieces in the vice put 1 1/4 in router bit in the chuck measured the spacing and whala! perfect mortises. Thanks for your feed back.