Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pig...she's a squealin'

The pig...she's a squealin'

My long lived moulder adventure is over and she's up and running (and she's cool). I plan on documenting the re-build here.
    Last edited by Craig Feuerzeig; 04-07-2007 at 10:36 AM.

way cool craig! looking forward to the rebuild saga.....i still have high hopes for a full blown moulder in the future so whatever you choose to share will be appreiciated lots! tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Thanks Tod,

I knew of everyone, you'd be interested in the progress.

Now if I could just get my camera to work as well as the moulder.

But for starters let me say that... get prepared to buy alot of sacrificial wood during the MONTH you'll spend setting it up.

It's a push feed...that means I need to run a 4 footer and then push it through with another 4 footer, just to get the first piece out. Only to find out it's not quite right yet.

craig, i`ve run 5 and 6 head moulders that belonged to others, know how to set `em up, grind the knifes ect.........it`s just that i haven`t ever tore into an old dinosaur to rebuild it...and when i can afford a "real" moulder i`m sure it`ll be an old one that`ll take lots of t.l.c. before it`ll produce any shavings.

She's a timesaver/ Sherrill 4 head moulder, circa 1947... but new to me. Here's a shot of before she came apart. Good thing I took pictures too. I had to refer to them many times. I didn't get an owners manual.

After I bought her, I forced to move into new diggs just to have the power to run her...So I moved upstairs...long story. There's a freight elevator, rated at 3000 lbs. The pig weighed in at 3500.

SO...

Here she is in her new home in the penthouse suite. Note the table in the back.

Close up.

And here are the guts, 3 pallets of parts.

Piece by piece...

All new wiring, clean and lubed, put back together, with the help of gantry/ chain hoist, and pallet jack.
    100 amps of power for the two 7.5 hp top and bottom motors, two 5 hp for the sides and a 3 hp feed.

And back in service for another generation.

Man, you weren't kidding when you said pig. That bad boy's a hog (with 28 horses). Looks like it could root through a stack of wood in the blink of an eye.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

craig, where all your spindle bearings in good shape? how `bout the pressure shoes? and the actual bed itself? or where you able to just rewire her and be up-n-runnin`? tod

Tod, surprisingly the bearings were fine, and table straight. It had definitly seen some maintenance. The wires were all shot, but the belts were like new, and the feed motor is not original. I think it was pretty well used (the counter was in the hundreds of thousands of feet ) , but well cared for. Also not the original color.

And Vaughn, I'm running it on the slowest speed, 15 feet per minute, but she'll do 30 .

The re-build was a great learning experience, I'm a lot more comfortable knowing the machine... but still a little...intimidated.

I can't imagine making a move like that into a building with such a big piece of equiptment. Looking great Craig.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "