The pig...she's a squealin'

way cool craig! looking forward to the rebuild saga.....i still have high hopes for a full blown moulder in the future so whatever you choose to share will be appreiciated lots! tod

Thanks Tod,

I knew of everyone, you'd be interested in the progress. :)

Now if I could just get my camera to work as well as the moulder.:rolleyes:

But for starters let me say that... get prepared to buy alot of sacrificial wood during the MONTH you'll spend setting it up.;)

It's a push feed...that means I need to run a 4 footer and then push it through with another 4 footer, just to get the first piece out. Only to find out it's not quite right yet.:doh:

craig, i`ve run 5 and 6 head moulders that belonged to others, know how to set `em up, grind the knifes ect.........it`s just that i haven`t ever tore into an old dinosaur to rebuild it...and when i can afford a "real" moulder i`m sure it`ll be an old one that`ll take lots of t.l.c. before it`ll produce any shavings.

She's a timesaver/ Sherrill 4 head moulder, circa 1947... but new to me. Here's a shot of before she came apart. Good thing I took pictures too. I had to refer to them many times. I didn't get an owners manual.

shoppics008.jpg

After I bought her, I forced to move into new diggs just to have the power to run her...So I moved upstairs...long story. There's a freight elevator, rated at 3000 lbs. The pig weighed in at 3500. :doh:

SO...

Here she is in her new home in the penthouse suite. Note the table in the back.

001_1.jpg

Close up.

005_5.jpg

And here are the guts, 3 pallets of parts.

003_3.jpg

Piece by piece...

008_8.jpg

All new wiring, clean and lubed, put back together, with the help of gantry/ chain hoist, and pallet jack.
100 amps of power :eek: for the two 7.5 hp top and bottom motors, two 5 hp for the sides and a 3 hp feed.

Man, you weren't kidding when you said pig. That bad boy's a hog (with 28 horses). Looks like it could root through a stack of wood in the blink of an eye. :eek:

craig, where all your spindle bearings in good shape? how `bout the pressure shoes? and the actual bed itself? or where you able to just rewire her and be up-n-runnin`? tod

Tod, surprisingly the bearings were fine, and table straight. It had definitly seen some maintenance. The wires were all shot, but the belts were like new, and the feed motor is not original. I think it was pretty well used (the counter was in the hundreds of thousands of feet :D ) , but well cared for. Also not the original color. :huh:

And Vaughn, I'm running it on the slowest speed, 15 feet per minute, but she'll do 30 :eek: .

The re-build was a great learning experience, I'm a lot more comfortable knowing the machine... but still a little...intimidated.

so are you using it for an s4s machine now? or are you going to run any profiles? i`d think that you could do a pretty good rough out of your clamps including a slot in the back to prep for cutting the "t" slot as well as roundover the back corners on the machine?

Fantastic!!

Thanks for sharing the pics etc, looks like quite the job :thumb:

Good to know the ins and out of the Pig, not like you can call up a service tech eh? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Ha ha Stu... definitely no service tech. It's going to be a dedicated machine for making my blanks, including the notch in the bottom. Should I ever get it tweeked just right... I'll never touch it again. :rofl: Tod, you're right about rounding the bottom corners though :doh: I certainly didn't think of that. I am considering some sanders on the outfeed table though for that.

Tyler, my background is jack of all trades, master of none. :D I've fixed and restored tons of old stuff... cars, houses, boats... but this was/is another thing completely. Necessity is the mother of invention. I couldn't afford to pay the rigger to crane it in, or the electrician to wire it. So I put on my mitt, and got in the game. A dear friend ( who just recently passed away:( ) taught me this years ago about electrical work... water comes in and water goes out. Now you know what I know.:D Oh... and only touch one wire at a time.:thumb:

The building is well over a hundred years old. It's an industrial complex now called Manufacturers Village. I'm told that the owners were partners with Johnson... before they split, and Johnson became Johnson and Johnson.

But the 200 amp wire I ran for the moulder was small potatoes compared to the size of the stuff I tore out of here. Looked like the wires going to the service at the mall. :eek: Actually I'm on my way to the scrap yard to cash it in. Gotta be a couple of hundred pounds of copper. :thumb: Three strands of "triple 0 ought" (if that means anything) inside a 4 " pipe.

Looks like one massive project there Craig.

Glad you have her spinning :thumb:

I just sold 30#'s of copper.
It's bringing $2.05 a pound here.