Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to another old friend...

Goodbye to another old friend...

Besides being my 36th anniversary today, we decided that today is the best time to take Maggie, our Springer Spaniel, to be put down. She's somewhere between 14 and 17 years old, partially blind, deaf, and recently incontinent.The vet thinks she may have cancer, and we didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on more tests, so we decided to let her go today. We are going away for a week on Thursday, and we didn't want to leave my son and DIL to clean up her messes.

I'm very sad just now, but she had a good, happy life, and was a very sweet, playful dog. We will miss her.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maggie.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	78728
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Having just done the same thing a month or so ago, my condolences to you and yours.
    -Ned

Sorry to hear this Rodger, it is never an easy thing to do.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

14 to 17 years is a good run. Sorry for your loss; I can fully understand your position.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sorry for your loss Roger, never easy to let them go, but sometimes for the best.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I wish my kids could make the same decision for me if I get in that situation. Animals are true friends. Sorry man, while gone, pick up a pup.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

sorry to hear this roger, and i also fully understand the feelings.. but as jonathan said look for another to fill the void, they make our lives here much more enjoyable!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

So sorry Roger but you did good. We did the same to/for our Baley a few weeks back. Different issues but still the same: because of the care we gave him he outlived his body's ability to cope. The vet had taken care of this true mutt for years and though he actually cried with us, he stated that he wished he knew some one could do the same for him if he got in that shape. I still find it hard to talk about...but don't really miss him as seeing him suffer was taking the joy out of being with him.. Sorry for rambling on your thread. But know you aren't alone........

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I wish my kids could make the same decision for me if I get in that situation. Animals are true friends. Sorry man, while gone, pick up a pup.
    I have another dog, my King Shepherd, Pepper. So, I still have lots of dog love around me. Jonathan, I gave my 30 year old son power of attorney in medical matters, and have had the discussion about when to let me go.
    Cheers,
    Roger

The other member of Mensa, but not the NRA

Everyone is a self-made person.

"The thing about quotes on the internet is that you cannot confirm their veracity" -Abraham Lincoln

Awww shoot Roger. My sympathies go out to you. That's always a hard decision, but you know when its right.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash