Sandpaper

Paul Douglass

I'm almost out of sandpaper and I have been sitting here reading about it. My favorite so far has been the Norton 3X the yellow stuff which is aluminum oxide. I've learned a few things just reading, like I probably sand to a finer grit than necessary. I usually sand things, before applying finish up to at least 320 and often 400. Reading today makes me think I should be stopping, for most things after 220 and start at lower grits (I have been starting with 220 most the time).

Okay that aside, I'm wonder what brand most of you more experienced woodworkers prefer. There are a lot of brands, a lot of backings. The last batch I bought was the more expensive, cloths back yellow stuff from Klingspor. Other than it didn't tear as easily as paper backed sandpaper, I don't see that it any better job than the Norton 3X.

sanding regime for me paul, is drum sander at either 80 or 120,, then RO sander at 100-120-150-180-220 on some things then finish

paper is either klingspore cubic zirconum or norton 3x or the blue stuff they make

klingspor for the sheet stock as well as clothbacked rolls for my drum sander. I buy a film back product from Hafele for my ro sander that doesn't die.

Larry, on the drum sander you should take it at least to 150 even to 220 before going to the ro it goes a lot quicker. takes forever to get those 80 grit scratches out when a pass or two at 150 pretty much removes them completely.

I generally use 120 on my drum sander to make a pass before assembly. Then, 150 followed by 220 with my ROS before finishing.

I've been using mostly Klingspor and some Mirca.

Hand sanding (and most others as well), if you like Norton 3X you will love Klingspor's products. They have a wide range in heavy paper and cloth down to very, very flexible backings like their Klingspor Gold product line. The heavy backings do well on flat blocks and, of course, the more flexible stuff excels at curves.

As to what grit to start and stop at; this will vary with your project. Kitchen cabinets that will get a heavy film coat, stopping at 220 is fine. A penetrating oil finish that leaves the wood beckoning to be touched, I go to 320-400 on surfaces and 600 or higher on exposed end grain. There is no right or wrong per-se, just differences based on material, style of project and the purpose of the finish.

I have learned that I often start with too fine a grit like 180 or 220 on some hardwoods. All this does is wear out your abrasives and your patience. I have also learned that trying to squeeze a little more life out of an abrasive is a false economy. The scratch patterns become unpredictable and all you end up doing is wasting time. Of course, we all know not to try to save time by skipping grits on the way to the finished surface, That just ends up making us go back or, worse yet, find swirls and scratches once the finish hits :eek:.

A nice sampler on the "gold" product is 'SH90320' and their A/O product sampler is 'SH80100'. This would give you a try at a couple of their many products.

Last edited:
If I'm putting on a poly finish I'll sand to 220 on the flats and 320 on the end grain. If using an oil based finish, I'll go at least one more step and do 320 on the flats and 400 on the end grain. I've tried going higher on a few projects and didn't really notice much of a difference.

Excellent. There are other upper end brands out there but, Klingspor's Woodworking Shop always seems to have what I'm after.

Paul,
I was going to give you a reply, however Glenn said it all. He is the one that got me started on Klingspoor. It is definitely my preference.

The 1" wide, gold rolls work especially well on the lathe. I also like their foam backed abrasive---I am amazed at how well it works and how long it lasts when used on the lathe. The foam backed is soft and pliable and fits into the curves like paint.

Enjoy your sanding, wear your mask and keep the DC on the job,
JimB

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpg
    IMG_2435.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I use Klingspor Gold for most things. Lasts and is clean. For pens and other small objects I often use Micro Mesh up to 4,000. And I still do not get the finish some guys here accomplish. :( Oh, well.