Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ultimate accurate miter sled for a table saw?

The ultimate accurate miter sled for a table saw?

I have been struggling trying to make perfect 45º miters on the corners of some boxes.

My oldest son's FIL gave me the walnut a couple years ago and it's been sitting in my shop. I began trying to make some keepsake/jewelry boxes from the wood for my DIL and her mother a month or more ago. The FIL passed away last week. The project has taken on a new urgency.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the desired results for the corners. The corners are to be triple splined, 45º miter joints.

Any photos or plans for a miter sled for my tables saw would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Ken
    ------

Ken, it's not a sled, but I've never had a problem getting dead-on perfect 45 degree miter cuts with my Incra miter gauge. I've got the 1000 SE, but I'd bet the others are as accurate. I put a BB ply sacrificial fence on mine so the cut is well-supported, but other than that, I've done nothing to adjust or tune it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

This is plan for a miter sled from WoodSmith. It sure looks like it'll do the job. Like Vaughn, I use my Incra 1000SE for some miters. I also use my miter saw successfully after ensuring it's dead on.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Another vote for the Incra SE 1000, since I got mine, I'm always confident of cutting any angle I want.

I think that the Regular 1000 would be just as good as the 1000SE, I seldom use the flip stop.

Still for $160 it was money well spent on the 1000SE.

What is your time worth?
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

the first question i have fitz is how high are you trying to mitre?that would determine the way you cut them.. the sled that bill linked to will only give you a little of 2" of hieght after you take out the ply thickness and the amount of cut you have on your table saw.. so a 4" tall box wouldnt get cut ...?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I've got the Jessem Miter, which I don't think is made anymore, but it's dead on. They made good products, but their support lacks. If I was to get another, Incra would be on my list.

Second thing I'd look at is a Wixey (http://www.amazon.com/Wixey-WR300-Di.../dp/B001PTGBRQ) to make sure the blade is at an accurate angle.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Larry,

The sides of the boxes are 2 1/2" tall. That pretty well pushes the use of a sled out the door.

I have a new Tiltbox II tilt gauge and cut the last one with my tablesaw. I wasn't happy with the results.

I do have a 45º chamfer bit for my router. I may try that with my new router and router table I built this spring.
    Ken
    ------

I've had really good luck with the chamfer bit on the router, well actually it was a lock miter, but similar. I even did all the top edges of the box, was only 1/2" stock. Don't have a lot of pics, but originally used it on this humidor.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11843...873?banner=pwa

Sounds like your stock may be a bit thicker though.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Darren,

My 45º chamfer bit will cut considerably more than 1/2 thick material but the boxes I am building only use 5/8" thick material.

I need to mow and trim the lawn but later this afternoon I may mill some scraps and make a test run with the chamfer bit.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-05-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    Ken
    ------

I have the Incra 1000HD. Paid less than $160 (Amazon) for it and love it. Went on Vaughn's advice. I was building an oak corner cabinet and the miters all fit great. I need to try some small boxes with miter corners.
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.