The ultimate accurate miter sled for a table saw?

I have been struggling trying to make perfect 45º miters on the corners of some boxes.

My oldest son's FIL gave me the walnut a couple years ago and it's been sitting in my shop. I began trying to make some keepsake/jewelry boxes from the wood for my DIL and her mother a month or more ago. The FIL passed away last week. The project has taken on a new urgency.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the desired results for the corners. The corners are to be triple splined, 45º miter joints.

Any photos or plans for a miter sled for my tables saw would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ken, it's not a sled, but I've never had a problem getting dead-on perfect 45 degree miter cuts with my Incra miter gauge. I've got the 1000 SE, but I'd bet the others are as accurate. I put a BB ply sacrificial fence on mine so the cut is well-supported, but other than that, I've done nothing to adjust or tune it.

This is plan for a miter sled from WoodSmith. It sure looks like it'll do the job. Like Vaughn, I use my Incra 1000SE for some miters. I also use my miter saw successfully after ensuring it's dead on.

Another vote for the Incra SE 1000, since I got mine, I'm always confident of cutting any angle I want.

I think that the Regular 1000 would be just as good as the 1000SE, I seldom use the flip stop.

Still for $160 it was money well spent on the 1000SE.

What is your time worth? :D

the first question i have fitz is how high are you trying to mitre?that would determine the way you cut them.. the sled that bill linked to will only give you a little of 2" of hieght after you take out the ply thickness and the amount of cut you have on your table saw.. so a 4" tall box wouldnt get cut ...?

Larry,

:doh: The sides of the boxes are 2 1/2" tall. That pretty well pushes the use of a sled out the door.

I have a new Tiltbox II tilt gauge and cut the last one with my tablesaw. I wasn't happy with the results.

I do have a 45º chamfer bit for my router. I may try that with my new router and router table I built this spring.

Darren,

My 45º chamfer bit will cut considerably more than 1/2 thick material but the boxes I am building only use 5/8" thick material.

I need to mow and trim the lawn but later this afternoon I may mill some scraps and make a test run with the chamfer bit.

Last edited:
I have the Incra 1000HD. Paid less than $160 (Amazon) for it and love it. Went on Vaughn's advice. I was building an oak corner cabinet and the miters all fit great. I need to try some small boxes with miter corners.

... .. the sled that bill linked to will only give you a little of 2" of hieght after you take out the ply thickness and the amount of cut you have on your table saw.. so a 4" tall box wouldnt get cut ...?

Bad on me! I read the title of the thread and failed to absorb some of the content of Ken's post. :huh:

the most used method I have heard f is a mitre saw, but I havnt had 100% luck with one, the best way I have got threw it is to lay flat and set blade at 45 degrees and then clean up with a shooting board..a router bit might work to if you can hold it fast so it doesnt move