I'm poooooooooo....

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
ooped!

Today was spent helping my sister and BIL handling some logs/boards they were having milled at their place. They had 15 logs, about 60% white oak, the rest was walnut. My BIL is a mechanic for a construction company and he picked up the logs from one of their construction sites. Was able to use the loader that was on site to get them on his trailer to bring home over a few different days.

This was the largest log, about 30" in diameter by 10' long,
2013-10-05 08.21.25.jpg2013-10-05 08.29.02.jpg2013-10-05 08.48.30.jpg2013-10-05 08.50.17.jpg2013-10-05 08.55.07.jpg

The stack from just that one log.
2013-10-05 09.53.10.jpg

The rest of the logs.
2013-10-05 08.55.39.jpg

This was the stack at lunch time, by the time I left it was about 8' tall, sorry no pics. Didn't get the final count, but was 1000 bd ft when I had to leave and there were about 3 logs left to do.
2013-10-05 12.57.24.jpg

Tom The Sawyer (http://tomthesawyer.net) was our milling guy. Great guy, very knowledgeable and prices seemed reasonable, my sister said it averaged out to about $.50 per board ft with his travel charges and taxes included. I think it was $.45 for 4/4 and $.35 for 8/4 boards (per bd ft). They also heat the house and shop using wood stoves, so they also have all the scraps to cut up to use for that, which was about 2 pickup loads worth.

I'd love to spend a day getting pooped like that. On the pooped scale, milling wood ranks right up near the top of the most desirable activities.....good night sleep guaranteed.:)

My back hurts just thinking about it. Looks like quite a lumber haul, though. :thumb:

I feel like I got ambushed by a ninja squirrel this morning

Fantastic!

If that wood is green, better get it stickered!!

Yup, meter he had was showing them at about 38% - 45%, so will be drying for a while. Had to saw up more stickers, ran out about 2/3rds through the logs.

What a way to spend the day! Would have liked to see a third/middle brace under that wood pile, hope it doesn't sag. I love cutting, splitting firewood, but working at a good mill with a good sawyer, it is so enjoyable and so physical!

So do you have any of that wood coming your way? ;)

Ummm, maaaaaybe. ;)

It was a lot of work, but very worth doing, especially with a guy like Tom who knew what he was doing. He'd stop from time to time to explain and educate, which made the whole thing very enjoyable. Need to find someone that's going to be cutting some Rob and volunteer, just take a hot bath after and keep some ibuprofen by the bedside for in the morning. :)

Last edited: