Little known secret and good product ...Autosol

Rob Keeble

I don't know if anyone here has ever tried this product called Autosol available from Lee Valley among other places.

Well some time back I purchased a tube to use on my planes given what I experienced last winter in a non dry shop.

But what I want to highlight about this product is its use in sharpening carving chisels and any other tools where steel is basically naked.

It has a small amount of I will call it pumice or fine grit in it but its not a super hard grit. Not as rough as grit in Fast Orange hand cleaner but I found it excellent to use in the sharpening of carving chisels on the slips.

What I like as well is the fine protective film it leaves after as well which means you aint coming back to rusted metal.

Note a very little goes a long way so use sparingly. Worth trying on all sorts. Think I might see how it does on one of my cast iron tops but I think its a tad expensive for that kind of application where paste wax would do better I think.

Going to give all my planes and their parts a going over. It will remove light rust as well. Another case where I appreciate LV carrying stuff that really works.

I use Autosol, too, and it will remove light rust from planes, etc. I recently bought an old tablesaw which had some rust stains (but no actual rust) on it. Autosol and a wool bonnet on an ROS removed the stains and polished the tabletop like new. Sold the saw for three times what I'd paid for it, so using the Autosol was worthwhile.

Had never thought of using it for stropping... Interesting idea, I'll have to give it a shot.

The stuff that Tormek sells for use on their leather stropping wheel is really just a variant of metal polish. In fact, on the Tormek USA website, Jeff Farris recommends a cheaper alternative to the Tormek brand, and it is a metal polish that actually seems to work better than the brand-name stuff.