Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you turn a pull for me?

Would you turn a pull for me?

I've run into a roadblock. I need a small pull turned from white oak for the Stickley clock I am building. As a duly deputized member of the "Ambassador's School of American Woodworking" I do not own a lathe. I've thought about trying to turn it in the drill press with bench chisels, but that just does not strike me as something that would leave all my extremities in tact.

Its a small pull, perhaps 3/8" wide with a 1/2 depth. It would have a 3/8" long 1/4" tenon. Here's as good a picture as I could find of the original. Not much to go on, but if you're a turner you could likely figure it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stickley-Mantle-Clock,-ca.-1911-1364590778.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	78799

Any takers?

Of course I will pay for wood, time, postage, packaging, and weed your garden. Well, if you bring the garden to Idaho.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

It would take me two weeks to get around to it Rennie, I still have to make two pens owed to another member
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Well Rennie, I'm not a turner but I have an old lathe and I have never turned a miniature knob, but I will go down tonight and see what happens if there are no other takers and you are willing to gamble.
    I'm supposed to respect my elders, but its getting harder and harder for me to find one now.

I could take a stab at it.. no guarantees as to the outcome of course No cost for wood (it would just be from scraps anyway) or time, and I don't have a garden so the postage would be COD or you can PM me for my address and send me a self addressed and stamped padded envelope You can owe me a barley pop sometime..

I assume the tenon is for attaching it to the door and that you aren't planning to screw it in place, just glue it into a matching hole? Otherwise I'd index on a pre-drilled hole to make sure it was centered...

Looks like the side profile would likely be close to: http://www.daltons.com/gustav/gustav...ockdetail3.jpg

You could also go pyramidal although that may not be quite right depending on the rest of the piece: http://readwatchdo.com/2012/03/make-...-pyramid-pull/

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I would do it for ya Rennie but alas I have given my son my turning stuff. SWMBO yells at me every time I go near saw dust or machine that make it. I guess she is tired of seeing me breakout due to allergies. If someone makes wine stoppers that could just use the mandrel from that and that way you could use the threaded hole on the back to mount it to the door. That's how I would do it.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

If my lathe wasn't 800 miles away, I'd do it for you in a heartbeat, Rennie.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I think I have a couple of pieces of white oak and would be happy to turn one for you. Be better if you could find a profile picture or sketch out a profile. PM me your address and I'll crank one out tomorrow.

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Rennie if this is what ya want it's yours, if not let me know by drawing a side pic and i'll knock one out for ya. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 (800x663).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	78803

Would you turn a pull for me?

Stephen,

That looks perfect. What is the overall length. Did you just do that? Fantastic! I will PM and addressed to you ASAP
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Any time I can turn something for you Lennie, don't hesitate to contact me!
    Ken
    ------