Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For you sauce makers...

For you sauce makers...

Anyone ever try substituting white balsamic for white wine or apple cider vinegar? We grabbed a fair amount of really nice stuff in Monterey last weekend and given it's yumminess...well, it could be a tasty. Ideas or recipes very welcome!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I'd say use it the same way you would something more akin to adding worcestescehercshsihshier (Aw, you know, that stuff).

Balsamic seems to be sweeter, thicker, and provides more flavor than regular vinegar.

I don't think I would use it as a direct substitute for 'regular' vinegar. Particularly if you were going to jar or store the sauce. The acidity levels can be pretty important for that.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ...worcestescehercshsihshier...
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you spelled that word wrong. You left out the third "sh". Common error.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I'd say use it the same way you would something more akin to adding worcestescehercshsihshier (Aw, you know, that stuff).

Balsamic seems to be sweeter, thicker, and provides more flavor than regular vinegar.

I don't think I would use it as a direct substitute for 'regular' vinegar. Particularly if you were going to jar or store the sauce. The acidity levels can be pretty important for that.
    The white we tried once was thinner/lighter than the normal stuff and is a lot closer to "regular" vinegars although somewhat sweeter/richer than many and may add a bit more depth in most uses (which is often not the "real" thing either but a colored replicant of dubious heritage and that is a whole nother ball of wax... I have a bottle of 18-years-in-the-barrel balsamic we got as a gift I've been saving for something special.. much different than the average store stuff).

The white we had ended up largely used all alone as a salad topping. It has a fantastic character all on its own, maybe combined with a little high quality EVO but mostly all by itself. I think we used it a couple of times for deglazing a pan for a quick pan sauce and once for glazed carrots before it ran out.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Leave it covered in the frig over night and enjoy as an appetizer. Used order the dish back in the day in Fan Fran. Served with a little sourdoug on the side. mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good stuff
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper. Leave it covered in the frig over night and enjoy as an appetizer. Used order the dish back in the day in Fan Fran. Served with a little sourdoug on the side. mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good stuff

Heading to the fish monger first thing in the morning
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I would cook up some nice calamari then after it is cooled I would slice it thin and pour the vinegar over it liberally a little salt and fresh ground pepper
    Ok...first, Don, I had Calamari steak last weekend. Second...stay on point...I'm talking about "WHITE" balsamic...it's filtered to remove the color, and I'd like a BBQ sauce idea...no squid this week.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

Totally missed the white balsamic part. Never even heard of it.

But I do loves me some calimari. It can be the steak, or the tentacles, I love the stuff.

I'll have to do some research on the white balsamic.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Calimari does sound pretty tasty.

I've never used the white, but do mix the red into a glaze from time to time. I've only made sauce once and found I that there are so many others already made I wanted to try some of those first. It's been a slow process though as I typically don't use sauce.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you spelled that word wrong. You left out the third "sh". Common error.
    That third "sh" is what gives worcestescehercshsihshishier it's unique flavor.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.